Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OG Spring trim

Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 14:55

A friend of mine says that she "Spring trims" her grass by burning it off to the ground. She said she also trims the grass by her house really low then burns off the short stubble. She said that she does it each Spring, it hasn't harmed her grasses and they grow very well.

What do you think? Would the ashes add nutrients? It makes me nervous...
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OG Spring trim

Burning is a perfectly acceptable method of spring cleaning/ rejuvenation of deciduous ornamental grasses but seems like a bit of overkill if you have already cut them back to 6 inches or so - that in itself is usually a sufficient method.

If you do elect to burn them off, you just need to cut off any remaining seedheads or tassels, as these are highly flammable and can spark and blow off to create fire danger. And there are often burning restrictions so you should check for permission for your area, not to mention follow ordinary open burning safety precautions. Unless you have a whole passel of grasses, you are not going to generate enough ash to be a concern.

o
RE: OG Spring trim

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 14:16

Thanks again gardengal48! Thanks also for the caution about the remaining seed heads being highly flammable.

I may give the burning method a try next Spring, since I've trimmed my tall grasses already for this year.

Now I'm heading out to trim down the little Japanese forest grass :-)

Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here