Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Remove Japanese Blood Grass?

Posted by PoppyPurr 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 16:53

Our Japanese blood grass is spreading quite aggressively. It is running through neighboring hair grasses and other plants. We've dug out and removed rhizomes where nothing else are planted. Does anyone have recommendations on how to remove the grass where other plants grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Remove Japanese Blood Grass?

It will not be easy. There are a couple of approaches:

1. Tediously cut out all the Imperata foliage from within the plants it has invaded. You may have to do this several times to get it to stop coming back. If there are plants with thick growths of Imperata, you can use a strong herbicide, like Roundup, carefully applied by hand to the Imperata foliage only. This is best done by using a cotton glove, over a surgical exam glove. Dip two fingers into the herbicide, and wipe it onto the Imperata foliage, being careful not to touch the other plant's foliage.

2. Isolate sections of the invaded plant, and carefully dig out divisions, avoiding any of the Imperata's root system. Transplant these divisions into pots, and watch for Imperata growth. If you get any, use the same herbicide treatment listed above.

Good luck. When this stuff reverts to green, it's wildly invasive.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 10:21

Yes, it should only be planted where it can be contained (by a pot, wide barrier, or perhaps a lawnmower). Too bad it doesn't come with that warning.
In my case, I just pulled it out by hand, I saw the way it was growing and got it before it was too terrible...and just kept at it till it stopped coming back. I think I managed to kill it all one season.

o

Thank you so much for your advices. We moved invaded plants, dug out the blood grass as much as we could, and are now checking the area daily and pull new growths out when we see them. Hopefully, they will stop coming up next season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here