Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgregory_zone6

choosing a tall ornamental grass

dg
11 years ago

Looking forward to spring now as many of us are. I am thinking of planting a specimen grass in my front yard. The area is full sun with top soil about 3" deep over central Illinois clay. This area tends to be on the dryer side as far as conditions go, but it's also close enough to my outdoor hydrant to keep watered until well established. There is plenty of room for a large ornamental grass, but I don't want a lot of thinning/replanting type maintenance :-) Trimming/topping it off in the spring is not a problem, however.

It's too early in the year right now and I'm in no hurry to plant anything, so discussing a warm weather grass is fine. I'd just like to start a conversation so I have some idea when the time is right.

If I could be picky, the characteristics I'm hoping the chosen grass will possess are 7'-10' height, 3'-4' width, sturdy-non flopping and doesn't form the dreaded "doughnut" shape with age. If it's not asking too much, I'd like it to have years of longevity in the single space it's planted.

From my local nursery's last year's catalog I've picked these options:

Erianthus ravennae
or
From the Miscanthus group:
M. s. 'Morning Light'
M. s. 'Gracillimus'
M. s. 'Goliath'
M. s. 'Sarabande'
or
From the Panicum group:
P. v. Cloud Nine
P. v. Dallas Blues

Do you have any favorites from this list that you feel will fit my parameters?

Thanks in advance for your input, thoughts, ideas and experience,
Deb

Comments (3)

Sponsored