Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinning After Germination

Posted by SoHotRightNow none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 18:04

First post. I am growing Nassella tenuissima and Festuca mairei from seed. Both have germinated and there are 4-5 plants per cell. Do I thin to one plant or just let them all grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinning After Germination

Let them all grow, and plant them out as a clump.

o

Interesting Donn ... You have always been a 'grow it in clumps' grass seed sower and I have aways separated my grass seedlings into individual little plants & transplanted each into its own 'cell'. Either method works! I think the difference is either a guy vs girl thing or ..... one of us is much more of a 'control freak' (that would be me :o)
Tho ... One thing I have found is, while growing the seedlings under lights, they really benefit from a couple of 'haircuts'. It really makes them bulk up both, above & below ground.

I have one plant of Festuca mairei and I love it!!
Hmmm ..... wish I had sown some Nasella tenuissima this year :o( A.

o

I'll isolate seedlings if I'm looking for certain characteristics in a grass. For example, when I sow Blue Fescue, or Miscanthus 'New Hybrids,' which is a blend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here