Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosewomann_gw

Which love grass do you love, love?

rosewomann
19 years ago

Ok there are so many Love grasses, I have ordered seed for 2 of them- Eragrostis curvula & Eragrostis ellitotti. Now I see there's a purple one( I love purple) & many others. Which do I need to add to my collection? Can you tell that I'm somewhat obsessive?

Rose

Comments (11)

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

elliottii, sorry about that.

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Eragrostis spectabilis. Not a grass with particularly handsome foliage, its inflorescenses form a celestial purple haze that hovers over the plants AugustÂSeptember. Sandy, warm soil in full sun. About 14" tall when in flower, when it is most attractive and a good companion to plants with blue/blue-gray foliage, such as Lavender or blue Oat Grass (Helictotrichon), or with yellow Tickseed (Coreopsis). Grow in groups or drifts, not as a specimen. Fine in beds or naturalized settings.

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

I meant to add this link to previous reply.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. spectabilis source

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That looks a lot like gulf muhly, doesn't it? Do you think it would grow well from seeds? And would you be willing to swap some for some muhly this summer?(have I no shame?) ;-)

Rose

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Is that the same as Eragrostis trichodes? Lots of confusion out there on grass names!

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

I grow both E. trichoides and spectabilis in the garden and at my nursery, and both perform great. I don't know about not having handsome foliage like BruMeta said, for mine have both a shade of red and carmine on the blades for both varieties during the summer. Spectabilis compares nothing to Muhlenbergia capillaris in terms of density of color, but it does promote a eye catching point in both the cured landscape and the meadow.

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Agastache Man-What a great name! My collections are Agastache, Salvia & Penstemons ... and now Ornamental Grasses! I don't need much of a push to become obsessive about something, lol.
    How are E. trichoides and spectabilis different? Can't tell much from the google images & they're both described as Sand Love Grass.
    Thanks in advance. Would welcome a chance to speak Agastache with you, I have one that is my particular favorite!
    Rose

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

Trichoides is larger than my spectabilis and which trich. has soft pink flowers that fade to a rusty tan. Spectabilis is more noted to be Purple Love Grass, with showy purple-pink flowers that eventually fade to a tan or sand color. Both work great in my fast-draining gardens and rocky gardens. The muhlenbergia capillaris I grow work great in my wetter areas, so I can have color in the slower draining areas in the full sun.

• rosewomann
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks AgastacheMan, now I need to find both of them. I'm excited about growing the elliottii, not sure I should have ordered the curvula, since these other two look better.

So what's your favorite Agastache? Mine may be Red Fortune, I love the orange hybrids too. What's your take on the tight vs the loose spikes? I like the loose, think the tight spikes should be outlawed, lol.
    Rose

Sorry about being off topic, AgastacheMan didn't have an email link

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

Sorry about the email, I will fix that. Favorite Agastache??? I like the structure of the barberi specie the most, and Tutti Frutti is probably the one I would pick. I have bred a couple of specie and hybrids together, and have some that are right behind Tutti Frutti and Firebird in terms of performance, likeness, and aroma.I tend not to favor the rugosa clan, but I still grow them.

• rene52
    15 years ago

I like lemongrass, cause it smells good when mixed with tea.
    ===========================

rene

Find new friends and dates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adult Dating

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures