Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novagolf_gw

Ornamental Grasses for field next to property

novagolf
17 years ago

Hi there,

I am in Nova Scotia Canada and recently built a new home in what use to be a large farmers field. We have 2.5 acres and, needless to say, don't use the entire lot for our yard. For the past 2 years, rather than letting weeds take over, we have given one of the local farmers permission to use the field around our approx 1 acre lawn to grow their choice of crop ... peas last year, corn the year before, and winter rye the year before that I think (they own all the fields around us so it is easy for them to extend their crops into our land). Because there are not any trees (except for ones along the road and the few small ones I have planted in the yard) and the property is flat, it is important to us the fields on each side "define" where our yard is. The corn and the winter rye did a great job of that, but as you can imagine the peas are low to the ground and didn't look that great :-). I do have the option of "requesting" a particular crop, but it would be much easier (and perhaps better looking) if I (or had them) plant something that would stay for a number of years rather than change every year.

My question is whether there is a perennial grass/crop or ornamental grass that could be grown from seed, isn't too expensive, looks great, creates a well-defined border to our lawn, and would give us a terrific looking addition to our property? I suppose wild flowers would be another option but I do like the great "swaying" look of a nice grass ... especially where we are ... which has quite a bit of wind.

Hopefully I have provided enough info ... and thanks so much for any suggestions.

D.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions