Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickie56_gw

Grass for morning sun

Vickie56
19 years ago

I'm wanting an ornamental grass to plant in my circle drive. It will only get morning sun and then dapple shade. I went to Calloways today and told them my situation. I really want fountain grass and he told me that would be perfect. The problem is, that every question I asked him, he had to go to someone else for an answer. That left me feeling insecure. I need 4 good size plants that will probably cost $25 each. I don't want to waste my money just because they want to sell plants. Have any of you grown fountain grass in only morning sun? Autumn fern is my next alternative, but my heart wants to go with the fountain grass. What do you think I should do?

Comments (14)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

How many hours of morning sun? If you have 4-6 hours of morning sun, you should be fine. Pennisetums (fountain grass) can tolerate some light shade but will flower best in more sun. Calamagrostis can take up to a half day shade but miscanthus and panicums would prefer full sun and will do best in those conditions.

There is quite a long list of shade loving grasses but most will not offer the size, stature and flowerheads of the above.

• blackie57
    19 years ago

I think gardengal is right on...as usual !! :) Pennisetums will be just fine with 6ish hours and definately use some Calimagrostis to give your bed saome height if you feel you need it. Karl Forester is an excellent subject for such height or Overdam if you want something a little shorter but with the intrest of varigated foliage. Either way you can't go wrong with Ornamental grasses. Also remember, don't ammend your soid for the grasses, they seem to do better with poor soil conditions and definately do not fertilize.

Happy planting !!

Blackie

• jake
    19 years ago

One other issue to remember is DO NOT over water. This too will make your grasses flop and be drab looking.

Most orn grasses like it a little drier.

Ornamental grasses - a man's perennial. Plant, grab a refreshment and a chair, and watch 'em grow. Spring time cut 'em back, grab a beer OOPS refreshment and a chair watch 'em grow. Spring time cu.......!!!

Jake

• PollyNY
    19 years ago

Jake, I love that last comment- Ornamental Grasses- a man's perennial. I am going to show this to my husband before the grasses need trimming this spring, and see if he will go for it. We have over 40, including 6 miscanthus giganteus (mature ones). Only problem being I'm the one that drinks the beer---Polly

• Vickie56
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank for your replies.This sounds like the grass for me! No ammending of the soil, not too much water, no fertilizer,AND I get to sit back and drink a beer while he plants them!! LOL
    Vickie

• blackie57
    19 years ago

Vickie, just make sure you have a cold one waiting for him when he's done planting... We men have simple needs to match our minds... ;)

• Vickie56
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK Blackie, I'll have one ready for him after he gets done. I'll even put it in a frosty mug... just the way he likes it!
    Vickie

• Vickie56
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, thanks again for all the replies. I got my grass today and DH was more than willing to help me get it in the ground. I'm the only one who drank any beer, so Blackie, do you think the grass will be ok? Or do I need to go and make him drink a beer? Or should I pour his beer on the grass? This is getting me confused!!
    Vickie

• blackie57
    19 years ago

Vickie,
    Send me one and I'll drink it for him !! And while you;re at it send on to Jake as well, he's always looking for a cold refreshment...Pouring his beer on the grass might work, or the extra suds might cause it to flop, I know extra suds will cause me to flop sometimes... ;)

• jake
    19 years ago

Refreshments for the Jake Man range from a cold beer to a Grey Goose martini - one olive please.

Never share the beer w/ the grass. Let the grass get its own beer. Gard'ners need the beer not the garden inhabitants.

I was going to offer you good luck on your new adventure into ornamental grass growing but unless your handiperson skills cause you to burn water when trying to boil it you shouldn't have any trouble growing ornamental grasses.

Even I can get grasses to grow. Tough job trimming back, planting, occasional watering and then watching the grasses grow when you only have two hands to do everything.

But I try anyway!!!

Jake

• Vickie56
    Original Author
    19 years ago

1 problem. The tag on the grass did not say perinneal. I spent $80 on 4.... 3 gallon containers. I am gonna be really upset if this does not come back next year. I wanted fountain grass. I got purple fountain grass. How many different varieties are there for Penmisteum? I figure thats spelled wrong but you know what I mean! I need to be more careful and not so damn anxious!!!! So, I'll go get a beer and forget about it for a while. I've ALWAYS learned lessons the hard way! Have a great evening.
    Vickie

• blackie57
    19 years ago

Ut oh....there are a few different varieties of Pennisetum, and the one you got it more than likely marginal in your zone..and possibly the only one with that characteristic. But don't give up hope... have that beer and look at the half full side of the glass...I know in my zone 5 if I want one I buy it every year...so enjoy the heck outta them this year !! Marvel at their beauty, because they truely one of the most beautiful grasses there is...and next spring if they don't come back replace them with one that is an annual. You can more than likely get them cheaper...come back here and we'll be happy to make some suggestions...we are great at tossing our two cents in...

Jake, you sure we weren't seperated at birth ?? Grey Goose martini ?? It does NOT get any better...only I like 3 olives.. just a pig I guess...

Blackie

• well_rooted
    19 years ago

Vickie.....Purple fountain grass (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum') doesn't like temps under 40 degrees....
    Yes, it will be beautful, but your chances of it surviving the winter are about as good as a snowball's chance in hell.

If you are concerned about the money (and it sounds like you are) then I suggest you simply take them back and express your disappointment about the lack of information on the tag. I have successfully returned plants before. Then look for Pennisetum alopecuroides or Pennisetum orientale ('Tall Tails' is pretty cool).

All that said, the best taller grass for less than full sun is Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster'.

• Vickie56
    Original Author
    19 years ago

YeeeHawww!! I called Calloways today and told them I wanted a perinneal grass not an annual. They said, YES, I could bring it back. I am SOOO relieved. I worried about this all morning. So now, I've got to dig this stuff up and take it back. I'm looking up all your suggestions. If you have any new suggestions, send them quick, cause I have to do this in the morning. Thanks
    Vickie

Sponsored
More Discussions