Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_wttl

Ornamental grasses best for the Sonoran desert

Kathleen W
19 years ago

and that the rabbits won't eat down to a stump - anyone have any ideas? I live in the desert near Phoenix and the property is still natural desert which includes some very short natural grasses after a wet winter/spring such as we've had this year. But those are typical grass green and don't last much into the summer. I have some areas near the house that I keep well watered and I love the look of the clumping ornamentals, especially the blue, gray, and so many other colors and all those textures which I'd love to put there. Here in this part of AZ, pampas grass is popular and red fountain grass too for commercial landscaping. Pampas would be too tall and the red fountain is nice but very common and leafy (meaning distinct leaves jutting off the stems ratther than just long strippy/stemmy leaves like chives). I'd love some options that are more delicate looking perhaps not taller than about 12-24" and that might be overlooked by the voracious rabbits we have here who will begin eating just about anything once the heat here sets in ....

Or maybe I am dreaming and rabbits will chow down on all of them... hope not. Planting pretty stuff and then surrounding it by chicken wire just sort of cuts all the visual pleasure out of it.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions