Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
putzer_gw

Two Questions-allergies and ribbon grass

putzer
17 years ago

I have been gardening for years, but am just getting interested in ornamental grasses and am wanting to add some to our yard this year. I am wondering if they are a problem for people who suffer from allergies or is this nothing to even be concerned about? I guess I am thinking of the pollen specifically. We do have some ribbon grass by our pond, which actually brings me to another question-I love the way it looks, but it really seems to spread as the years go by...any solutions? Is there a better grass to use that doesn't spread or is there a way to control it better?

Comments (4)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Allergies: True grasses definately affect hay fever victims. The produce pollen which can irritate those who are susceptible.

Ribbon Grass: It's a known invasive, and although your zone should at least slow it down, the only way to reduce it's spreading is through the use of mechanical or physical means. You can keep it contained with a barrier, or by active root pruning.

• putzer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Donn! I wonder if the grasses will affect me more than all of the flowers I have or the HUGE maple tree. I will go ahead and plant some this year and see. Frankly, I think the maple has more of an impact than anything and I don't see us getting rid of that anytime soon. :)

Re: ribbon grass-I am torn on this one because it is really pretty (the former owners of our house planted it), but I have been thinking the best thing to do would be just to kill it and start with something less "feisty."

Here's a pic of the pond (yes, there is a pond in there)!-this year I will be moving the Hostas because this really gets overgrown, as you can see.

Here is a link that might be useful: pond

• donn_
    17 years ago

I like the look, although I'm taking your word there's water in there. ;>)

You might consider keeping the Phalaris, because it looks so good. I've never done it, but I've read it'll grow in the water. You could dig up good sized clumps and pot them in large nursery pots, and then sink the pots at the edge of the pond.

I grew large clumps of it in Zone 5 Ohio, and kept it in bounds by burying 4' diameter cement culvert sections in the ground. They were about 3' deep, and I left about 6" exposed above ground. I stained the cement dark brown, but it wasn't really necessary, because the Ribbon Grass completely hid them with foliage. You could do the same thing with any large container, like a half of a 55-gallon drum.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

I agree with Donn, the Phalaris looks great! I would definitely keep it. In my zone & my soil I wouldn't call it invasive. Rather I would call it aggressive. It seems to make a nice sized patch with no incouragement. That said, I find it easy to control with a spade, once/year digging out the parts that spread beyond where I want them. At least it isn't one of those nasty plants that send underground roots miles underground to turn up in your favorite (and therefore whimpy) plants.

The garden looks quite nice in your picture - a shame you have to change anything!
    A.