Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Carex question

Posted by wherewerewe z7 NC Triad (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 0:17

Just picked up a few clumps of Bronco Carex...they are kinda limped over to one side, and wondered if they would benefit from being trimmed back like most grasses...fountain, maiden, etc.

Thx =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Carex question

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 6:48

They might. You can trim them back, although not as far as things like Miscanthus and Pennisetum. They don't like to be closely shorn, just to 4-5" will probably be enough. They'll grow back a bit thicker, but will still be a cascading grass. In a wind-free environment, the ideal form is to cascade uniformly, all the way around. In wind, they will obviously blow one way or another.

o
RE: Cutting Carex question

Thanks for the tip donn....for some reason, the responses aren't being forarded to my email account even though I checked on the option. I'm going to have to look into that.

Perhaps I'll leave it alone since it'll revert to its natural tendency...it still looks nice as is.

I'm looking forward to incorporating it into my gardens...it's such a cool color. I have a bunch of 'Curly Top' Leatherleaf carex, similar to the Bronco, yet they seem more dwarf and upright. I plan to use the Broncos in front of a neat sign my sister-in-law gave me as a Christmas gift as a nice accent to a flower garden entrance. I'lll try to post a pic once I catch up to the real world of internet technology.

take care & thx again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here