Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myback_garden

New to This Forum

myback_garden
19 years ago

Hello to all...I have been searching for Ornamental Grasses that would be suitable for Zone 6b.(Not Having much Luck) I am not familiar with grasses at all and any suggestions that might work for me would be appreciated. I am wanting to plant them in a space about 25' long and about 5 feet wide(can make the width larger)..it is very sunny for most of the day. Thanks So Much

I just wanted to say as well.. I am not good at gardening but am trying to learn :)

Comments (18)

• donn_
    19 years ago

Myback...you should have no trouble, at all, finding grasses for your zone, and you don't have to be a gardener to grow them. Spend some time at Bluestem, linked below. He specializes in grasses (and willows) for cold climates, and his website is chock-full of info and pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Donn: I had searched and somehow never came up with Bluestem...Thanks So Much..I had a quick peek this morning..and have seen some grasses I would love to have..:)

• PollyNY
    19 years ago

Myback, welcome!! Just pick some you like and go for it. Grasses are very easy to grow. You can have a wonderful looking garden from just a few varieties of Miscanthus (almost all of which are hardy for you) Since your area is large, even though not wide, how about going for some 'oomph' and put in Miscanthus 'Giganteus'. Ours was 14 foot tall last year. Of course, there are so many other grasses too. Are you going to have just grasses. or other perennials? Do post some pictures when you are done. Polly

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    19 years ago

Hi Myback Garden,

For something blue, check out Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'. It's really cool! And definitely put in a couple perennials. In a couple months you'll be hooked!

Welcome to the world of grasses, and, hopefully, perennials,
    Skybird

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Polly and Skybird: I do plan on having other perennials as well. I planted pink pampas last year(bought it at a landscape place..a guy wandering around there gave me the suggestion)My first grass and plant..lol.. in the far corner of my yard..but I don't think it is going to make it...there are no new shoots coming up...So I'll have to start over this year..but...now I know the pampas would take over my entire back corner(width wise)(learning here :) ...I am now looking for something not so wide. I will check out the Heavy Metal and the Miscanthus that you both have suggested...Wow on the 14'..I'd be happy with half of that for that corner. The part of the yard I am looking for as well is the one in my first thread..25'ft long and 5' wide and I would like to have a mix of perennials as well. I bought a magazine on Saturday that showed grasses that work well with other perennials ..I am hoping the visual helps me out.(I need the help for sure) This yard had nothing but dandelions in it last year(they are all gone)..the grass is looking like it is going to live..I need some life out there now..:) Thanks again for the info..Deb

19 years ago

Hi Myback Garden,

If you want something with the pampas grass look, check out hardy pampas grass, Saccarum ravennae (used to be Erianthus r., look for it under either name). It's not as huge as Cortaderia, and the plumes aren't as big and fluffy, but it has a very similar habit and will definitely be hardy in zone 6. Bluestem has a picture.

And when you're looking for perennials, please remember that this is YOUR garden, and what you think looks good is the only thing that really matters! Pictures are great for ideas, but after all the pictures, pick the things you like best and put them where you want them. With perennials there are very few things that won't look good together. For the most part, put the taller ones toward the back or in the center, but even that isn't always necessary. Remember that perennials won't all be blooming at the same time, and most of them will be at their full height only when they're blooming. Look for things that bloom in spring, summer, and fall so you'll have color all season. And the most important "rule" of perennial gardening: A perennial garden is never finished! If you put something in and decide it would look better somewhere else, dig it up an move it. If you decide you don't like it, dig it up and give it away (somebody will love you for it!) If it gets too big, dig it up and divide it (and give some away!) If something dies, get another one--or try something different. You get the idea! Most of the fun of perennial gardening is that it's constantly evolving. Don't spend your time worrying about what looks good, spend it planning your next move.

Happy gardening, and---enjoy!
    Skybird

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"If you want something with the pampas grass look, check out hardy pampas grass, Saccarum ravennae (used to be Erianthus r., look for it under either name). It's not as huge as Cortaderia, and the plumes aren't as big and fluffy, but it has a very similar habit and will definitely be hardy in zone 6. Bluestem has a picture."

Skybird...That is exactly what I am going to get...I was looking at the new magazine I have just this morning and it shows a pic of Saccharum ravennae..with Persicaria-Amplexicaulis and behind those two is Cupresssus arizonica var.glaba(smooth Cypress)..They all look very beautiful together and I like the look of them..(It's a definate go for me now that you have suggested it as well)..THANKS FOR HELPING ME MAKE UP MY MIND:)...I checked out the size that they will grow to and they will fill in some of the space very nicely. I love bleeding hearts so I will put some of those in front of all the rest..Now I have to go shopping for them..Thanks so much for everyones suggestions. I will give lots away(if they get to big) if I can first get them to grow for me... :)Thanks Deb

19 years ago

Hi Deb,

Just a quick follow up here! Bleeding Hearts (Dicentra spectabilis and D. formosa) prefer more shade, so I think you'll be happier with them if you find a pretty shady spot for them. And one other thing to consider when you put them in, D.s. goes dormant when it gets too warm out, so plan for that too. D.f. doesn't go dormant, but the hearts aren't as perfect as Old Fashioned Bleeding Hearts.

Have fun,
    Skybird

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Skybird...awwwwwwwww..I didn't know that :)..hmmm I'll have to do some more looking for something else that will take the place of my bleeding hearts..Back to the info gathering...This learning to be a gardener is hard work..(grin).Thanks for letting me know

I have a question ..I have a line of cedars down one side of my yard with a raised bed..(mostly shade..little sun)I was wondering if I put some hostas in there would I be able to put in bleeding hearts as well? Thanks Again...Deb

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Yes, Myback, the hostas and bleeding hearts should both do well there, presuming that the site does not get full sun, the soil is rich in humus and retains moisture (but drains well, as most raised beds do).

You can and will learn MUCH about gardening simply by doing it. (I knew NOTHING when I began 20 years ago.) The best resource? Books. They become so personal and prized. Since you are just beginning, I suggest the "enclyclopedia" type, and I recommend these two (others will recommend others, no doubt). Grasses: Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses by Rick Darke; general: AHS's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. Plenty of soil and horticultural info, great photos, and so much fun to read (especially in winter, when the outdoors is dreary). Within two years or so you'll be posting photos and giving us advice.

Gardening is popular because it is so relaxingÂit's the physical effortÂand stress-reducing. It's fun, so go have someÂand welcome! Am glad to read of your interest in ornamental grasses.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

BruMeta:Are those are your gardens at your BruMeta home page?..They are awesome..What a beauty spot for anyone to live..The Gardens look like they would bring great peace to the person viewing them in about 2.2 seconds..Thanks for your information and I will look into the reads you suggested.

I love the ornamental grasses because when I see them on other people's properties...I get a real feeling of hmmmmmmmm ooohhhh..can't quite put it into words..(How corny does that sound...lol..But this is even cornier...I get up every morning and throw a coat on and go look to see how much more my plants have grown through out the night... Thanks Again for your information..Deb

19 years ago

Hi Deb,

If you're gonna pick up some books, I have to recommend this one! It's my favorite perennial book with LOTS of pictures, brief, simple, and ACCURATE descriptions, and it's less than $15!!! (There's a Grasses section too! And Ferns and Herbs!) It's the Heritage Perennials, Perennial Gardening Guide by John Valleau. It's published by Valleybrook Intl. Ventures, Inc. of Abbotsford, British Columbia (ISBN 0-9699483-1-X). It's not easy to find down here in the U.S., but it might be easier to find in Canada since it's published there! The most recent one I have is the 3rd Edition (1988), but there's probably a new edition out by now--and each one gets better.

To replace your Bleeding Hearts, you might want to consider something simple like Shasta Daisy 'Becky'. They're very easy to grow, bloom for a long time, and are great cut flowers. There's a "shasta daisy Becky vs. Alaska" thread on the Perennials Forum right now that will tell you how great 'Becky' is. But be sure you do put some Old Fashioned Bleeding Hearts (D.s.) in somewhere. They're wonderful!

And..... When it comes to corny, we're in competition! The first thing I do in the morning is look out all my windows to see how everything is doing. Then I go out later in the day (I'm not a morning person!) and inspect each plant individually. I can tell you how many hundreths of an inch each one has grown each day!!! My Bleeding Hearts have grown a foot in just over a week--and they're budding! And since our blizzard over the weekend, my grasses are starting to show too. I LOVE IT!

Happy spring,
    Skybird

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Skybird..Thanks for the book recommendation...So far I only have a couple of magazines...So I will check out the guide you have suggested and the one from BruMeta...

I also like the Shasta Daisy (Becky)as well...now that I know what it looks like(had to look for a pic)..lol
    I will check out the thread on the Perennials forum and find out some things about them..

I really am thankful for all the help yourself -Donn- PollyNY and BruMeta have given me.. :)

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Yes, I remember all the night time trips to the garden with a flashlight to see what was happening. Usually porcupines, oppossums and once a skunk were happening.

• PollyNY
    19 years ago

Definitely pick the plants you like and try them. My favorite to go with the Miscanthus is Eupatorium 'Gateway'. I just love the contrast between the two. I check out my garden every AM before work, and as soon as I get home. I have also gone out at night with a flashlight. One night a raccoon came out of the lilacs standing on its back feet, and walked towards me. I swear it was six feet tall. I had to shut off the water, which is hooked to a faucet about 100 yards from the house, and I went back and made my husband go with me. Every one should go out in the garden at night, it's a whole different world. Deb, you have the enthusiasm that will make a great gardener. Polly

19 years ago

Hi all,

I definitely second the motion for the Miscanthus/Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed) combination. They're wonderful together!

And thanks to all of you for the great laugh this evening. Definitely my kinda folks!

Have a great season all,
    Skybird

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

Welcome and my advice is, read, learn and apply...oh, and the most important thing, have fun....

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the welcome AgastacheMan..
    I'm gonna write that down(read-learn -apply)..I've got myself a long memory..Long as I write it down I'll remember..lol..The fun part is easy..I'm having a gas learning all the new things about plants..in fact I think I'm driving my gal friends nuts with all the info I'm passing on to them that everyone has been so kind to help me with here on this forum..(like...hey girls did you know you can put Hostas and Bleeding Hearts in the same bed)..hahhaha
    This is all being passed on to them at our Friday night girlfriend beer stop at our neighbourhood watering hole..(they think I've lost it:)(they all know that I have darn near killed every plant I have ever had)so to hear me talk about my garden...gets them into a fit of giggles.

BruMeta and Polly:I would go in to panic mode if I ever saw anyone of those critters up close..yikeeeeeeesss
    Thanks Deb :)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions