Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pezhead_gw

Muhlenbergia capillaris

pezhead
17 years ago

Derek in Utah -- if you read this, I do apologize!

Derek kindly responded to a post of mine looking for Muhly grass to plant on the grave of my dog who died in January. He offered up his Utah clump and he dug it up in early March and mailed the entire clump to me here in Oregon.

I received the clump in excellent condition and promptly divided it into 8 pieces and potted these. We proceeded to have a fairly late wet spring here. About a month after potting them for the first round I became concerned that the soil I used - though liberally amended with fine gravel - was perhaps too heavy and facilitating rot. I repotted all divisions in a very nice pumice rich potting blend (should have used it the first time). Now I wait and watch and there is ZERO sign of green form these plants. Is this a very late grass to push growth?? Undoubtedly there were some less than ideal elements to this process (digging/dividing too early) but I will be surprised and saddened if this grass totally fails!!

Any input from Muhly grass growers??

Comments (9)

• dawgie
    17 years ago

Muhly grass can be late to emerge, but also can be susceptible to root rot if too wet in winter. The first Muhly I planted was one I bought while dormant in winter and it never emerged the following spring. I bought several Muhlys last spring that were already growing and they did very well for me, and have already greened up this spring with lots of new growth. My Muhlys did develop some problems with rust early last summer because I was watering them too much, but revived after treating with fungicide. If your Muhly's don't green up pretty soon, they probably died.

• pezhead
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the input -- I fear these are done for. It's a hard grass to find in our area for some reason. Guess I'll search around or mail order some starts. Thanks again.

• dereks
    17 years ago

Hi Pez, no need to apologize. I'm just sorry its not working out. Normally, by now, I see plenty of new growth. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that you will see some signs of life soon. Please let me know how things go.
    Derek

• pezhead
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Derek. I suppose we might have done better to follow the old rule of digging/dividing warm season growers when the growing starts. Wet cools spring here until the last couple of weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but alas, I see no signs of growth in these divisions. If something shows in the next week or so I'll be sure to let you know.

Pez

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. I just found this forum today so haven't read any of your previous posts so I don't know what grasses you already have, but I do have several grasses that need dividing that I would be happy to share.

I do not have the Muhly, actually haven't heard of it.

• pezhead
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the words. Pink Muhly Grass -- very heat tolerant and late blooming with a fine spray of pink-tinged fine flowers.

I have scads of grasses and am getting ready to sell some. I have still more to divide! Tough work!

• junis5
    15 years ago

who can help me to get seeds or root clumps of Muhlenbergia capillaris. private or commercial address. just one obstacle ; I live in the Netherlands....

• patricia88
    15 years ago

Junis5: You could try www.mailordernatives.com
    I have ordered muhly clumps from these people--the plants arrived healthy and all grew and bloomed with little effort.

• leeann_sacredorigin_com
    15 years ago

i have Muhlenbergia capillaris.... email if you want some.
    leeann@sacredorigin.com

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm