Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What grads is this

Posted by mfran12345 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 8:12

Can anyone tell me what ornamental grass this is? Do I need to cut it down in order for it grow back now that the weather is getting warmer? It came with the house and was like that when we got it in the winter time so I don't know what to do now that it's spring. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What grads is this

See reply in duplicate thread. It's Miscanthus sinensis, and looks like a fine-bladed cultivar, either a smaller one or not yet mature.

Cut it back to just above any new shoots. Rake out the crown lightly after cut-back to remove detritus.

Get some photos in bloom, later in the year, and we can probably narrow down the ID.

o

I agree with donn. The gold color looks awesome.

o

If you don't cut it down, you will literally hear it "crackle" & "pop" as the new chutes grow into the old ones. It's pretty cool. I used to love hearing it during the spring.

o
RE: What grass is this

I have been hearing the crackle and pops outside. I thought I was going crazy because couldn't find what it was from. It's my grass?! Thanks for all the advice. I plan to cut it this week to a few inches from the ground. How fast will it grow back and how tall? We like it for privacy. Thanks again

o

Be sure to check the height of the new shoots, and don't cut it back deeply enough to cut them.

It should grow 6-12" taller than it was last year, and will probably grow more blossoms.

Depending on weather and water availability, it will take 2-3 months to reach maximum foliage height, and then will add height with the blossoms, anywhere from mid-late summer.

This post was edited by donn_ on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 16:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here