Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sharp?

Posted by sue_in_nova_scotia 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 8:58

I accidently posted on the gallery (heheehe)...I was thinking about growing some miscanthus..maybe zebrus...near the back door and I was wondering first of all...is it sharp, will people cut themselves on it walking by? Also how large a clump will miscanthus make and is it invasive?
Thanks, Susan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sharp?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 14:04

In your zone, Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' will probably reach 5' tall (the foliage) by 5' wide. It isn't invasive, but will require staking as it ages, as it is quite lax. The only way someone could cut themselves, is if they tried, by grabbing a mature leaf and sliding their hand along it.

o

Thank you Donn for your answer...I will definately get some OG this summer...Not positive on location yet but I will fit it in somewhere :)

o

There are two other yellow-banded grasses that are similar to M.s.'Zebrinus:' 'Strictus,' which grows more upright, a bit taller and less lax; and 'Hinjo,' more compact than 'Zebrinus,' less lax and more strongly banded than either 'Strictus' or 'Zebrinus.' 'Hinjo' is hard to find, but any of these will make a handsome specimen. Notes: all require full sun; are late to show their yellow bands (usually early June for me in 5a); and will take at least three summers to reach their mature sizes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here