Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitty0_gw

Carex Bronze

kitty0
16 years ago

I tried for the first time last year the Carex Bronze variety. I have three plants that all look pretty nasty . They were so pretty when I put them in. I haven't pruned them back because I am afraid I will kill them. I bought them beause they are suppose to do well in partial shade. Should they be fertilized and if so what should I use. As far as water, is less better than more? This is the first web site I have found that has dealt with this variety. I also had a New Zealand Hairy Sedge that literally died at the ground level and the blades just pulled away at the touch. I also tried the Carex Conica Snowline which is doing quite well and the Ice Dance Sedge which is doing quite well with lots of baby plants developing around the base of the plant.

Comments (7)

• donn_
    16 years ago

Is it Carex comans 'Bronze' or one of the other bronze colored varieties?

If it's C. comans (which is New Zealand Hair (or Hairy) Sedge), it'll take light shade but does better in the sun. It can tolerate drought after it's established (2-3 years), but needs water until then.

• kitty0
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donn

The plant that died was definately the C. comans and that one was in a mostly shaded area. The other three are in a light shaded area, getting afternoon sun. Should I cut them back now? If so, just lightly? Fertilizer? I know a lot of grasses state "do not fertilize"

Thanks

• donn_
    16 years ago

I can't advise about pruning, unless you can tell me what Carex it is.

I can tell you it probably doesn't need ferts. Nothing more than a normal amount of organic material, like compost as a top dressing.

• achnatherum
    16 years ago

Kitty,
    I have several species of Bronze coloured Carex that are doing well in a location similar to the one you describe, all the way through to full sun. Suprisingly, they don't like to be really dry - I would say they are content with the same care as most of your other perennials.
    At this time of the year you should still see some 'healthy-looking', firmly attached leaf blades. Trim them back to 3 - 4 inches and cross your fingers. You certainly won't kill it by trimming.
    a.

• kitty0
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donn

Unfortunately I don't have any more info other than what came with the plants at the nursery I purchased them. Can you tell me what kind of grasses do well in really shaded areas if any. I did planta a variety called Dwarf Golden Sweet Flag which looks veryt healthy but has not had any growth that I can tell of. I'm good with the ferts now and I will try a little compost material.

Thanks

• kitty0
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Achnatherum

I think I will take your advice and try a little trimming back. I'm new to the grasses and just wish I had more space to put in more. I really like the Purple Fountain Grasses but although they say they are a perennial I haven't had any luck in seeing them come back. I think my area must be too cold.

Thanks

• donn_
    16 years ago

Here are a few grasses which work in part shade:

Carex muskingumensis
    Luzula nivea
    Luzula sylvatica
    Sesleria caerulea
    Most Calamagrostis will take part shade
    Chasmanthium latifolium
    Hakonechloa macra

Sponsored