Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant pampas grass?

Posted by cjcsac z6 ky (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 9:15

I am planning to plant some pampas grass near a patio to help block the view of the street. I was wondering how far apart to plant them, how deep to plant them. I have 2 plants that were given to me by a friend. They are about 3-4 years old and I am going to add some new ones from a garden center. Can anyone give me some info on the grass. I am a very new gardener, and need to be educated!! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant pampas grass?

First of all, make sure your permanent planting position for the pampas grass is at least 6-7 feet from the patio. As for planting them, if they are in a pot to begin with, plant the grass to the original depth it was planted in, meaning don't bury the crown of the plant. If unsure, plant the grass a little high, and then apply some light mulch around the base( I mean light, don't volcano it). Plant them between 5-7 feet apart, assuming they are the common C. selloana and not the dwarf "Pumila".

o

thank you very much. I hope this works, my patio is so open to the neighborhood. I think its a good soultion, hope I sprout a green thumb!

o

Pampas Grass is just beautiful. I lived in southern Illinois until 2 years ago I missed my beautiful pampas grass so much i was always going to it touching the leaves. I took such good care of it and always cut it back in March so wild animals could take harbor in it during winter storms. I moved to upstate new york 2 years ago and just last week I bought a large pot of pampas grass that I hope will thrive in my yard like my other one did. I still miss it .. it was like a baby to me. please don't laugh.

o

I know how you feel about grass foliage. Something about it really captivates doesn't it.

I'd be surprised though if you had true pampas grass, cortaderia sp. It wouldn't likely have been hardy in your area. I definitely don't think you'd find it surviving in upstate new york. Sometimes other species of cascading grasses are generically called pampas grass.

Very good point about waiting until spring to cut back. Winter grasses do provide for animals and birds during winter months.

o

I HAVE A PAMPAS GRASS IN MY FRONT GARDEN BUT IT DOESNT LOOK VERY HEALTHY WHAT CAN I DO TO IT TO MAKE IT GROW AND LOOK HAPPY I CAN SEE A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN UNDERNEATH THE BROWN DEAD LOOKING FOLIAGE DO YOU THINK ITS STILL ALIVE

o

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 7:44

Sandra...cut it back to just above any new shoots of foliage. If it isn't in a full sun (6-8 hours per day), move it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here