Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Achnatherum calamagrostis

bellarosa
18 years ago

Does anyone grow this grass and if you do, what can you tell me about it? How does it do in hot humid climates?

Comments (10)

• achnatherum
    18 years ago

Wow, a question right up my alley!
    I not only grow Achnatherum calamagrostis - it is one of my very favorite grasses! Does just fine here in our humid S.W. Ontario summers. It is an early bloomer with gorgeous flowers and it holds its dried seed heads right on into winter.
    It is a slow grower & the only problem I have had is other things seeding into the clump. It is relatively easy to grow from seed but strangely has never self-sown in my garden.
    One of those all round grasses, right up there with Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster'
    A.

• deep_roots
    18 years ago

Here is a link to Achnatherum calamagrostis.
    http://www.bluestem.ca/achnatherum-calamagrostis.htm
    If Achnatherum calamagrostis is like other Calamagrostis, then it should be a winner. My Karl Foerester Calamagrostis is always the first of my grasses to green up, while the Daffodils are beginning to bloom. Of all the Calamagrostis arrangements that I've seen, the ones at the former Aurora, Ohio, SeaWorld were my favorites. The tight upgright form lends itself to interesting grid plantings as it holds and defines a landscape pattern well.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both for your advice. I'm glad to hear that AC does well in humid temps. I'm planning on getting it and planting it in front of my burning bushes, which face East on our property line. I'm also planning of adding a row of Karl Forester Calamagrostis to my yard. I love their look.

• achnatherum
    18 years ago

bellarosa,
    possible downside to your planting plan. Achnatherum calamagrostis (not directly related to Calamagrostis sp.) blooms early in the summer,usually before the end of June for me. So, by the time your burning bush turns red this grass will already be in its 'dried seed head' stage. The contrast of beige & fire engine red might look quite nice.
    A.
    btw, Achnatherum calamagrostis was reclassified from a Stipa spp. ~ it has simlar long awns.

• gmac9970
    14 years ago

Hi,

I am thinking of adding Achnatherum calamagrostis to my small garden in center city Philadelphia. I have small fountain and will put the grass around it - probably about a 3' X 6' plot. Must I buy a grown plant or can I grow from seed? If so, how many seeds do I need? How long will it take to grow? I am hoping that I can plant it and have nice tall grass this year.

BTW - I am no gardener. I haven't grown any plant since my 3rd grade class planted a cucumber.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• echolane
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Revisiting this topic because I have two on order from High Country Gardens. I've been wondering how to space them and wonder how fast they grow. I'm hoping they won't be too fast as I hate dividing these bigger grasses.. The photos I've seen make the grass seem rather large and wide spreading and I'm worried that two will overwhelm my closely planted perennial bed.

. Achnatherum in Ontario mentioned it was a slow grower. How long does it take to grow up and make a statement?

How much space should,I allow for It?

• echolane
    6 years ago

I finally got my two Achnatherum plants from High Country Gardens. Can't wait until they start growing, though theyre so small I'm sure they won't make any sort of statement until at least next summer, which definitely tries my patience, I do get slightly frustrated at how small Mail order plants are compared to those at the local nursery even though pricing is similar or even higher for mail order. I have to remind myself that the reason I do mail order is because I cannot find them locally.

• Lisa Roper
    6 years ago

How did your two plants of Achnatherum do during the 2017 growing season?

• echolane
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am disappointed to write that they didn't do well for me. I potted them up because I wanted them to grow some before I planted them out and then I nearly lost them! I had followed a recipe for home made container mix and I'm pretty sure it was retaining too much moisture to suit them. I repotted them in a commercial mix as soon as I noticed the problem (this was about mid-summer) and while they didn't die, they didn't grow on much, staying only about 12"-14" tall. They are still not completely dormant and showing a little green in the foliage so I expect they will grow on normally next summer.

i repotted them again early this fall and this is how they look now.

• echolane
    6 years ago

An update as February begins — they have not gone fully dormant, still retaining quite a bit of green in their foliage. I will still cut them back toward the end of the month and will be much looking forward to watching how they do this year for me.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions