Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Next question-Japanese Sedge

Posted by swontgirl_z5a 5a (doxby@hsfx.ca) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 10:49

Hi,
I planted a Japanese sedge(Carex panache) last year. It looks good although there are some brown leaves on the top. Should I trim these off or cut the whole thing back now? It also has many babies growing around the edges. If I am careful can I try to move some of these? Will they be attached to the roots of the mother plant somehow?
Thanks,
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Next question-Japanese Sedge

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 11:57

Carex Panache seems to be a name for Carex morrowii 'aurea-Variegata.' I trim Carex Morrowii back by about 2/3, in fact I just did a bunch of 'Ice Dance' yesterday.

The offsets should be left alone for at least a couple of growing seasons. When they're good and sturdy, and have developed their own root system, you can cut them from the mother plant with a sharp knife, and plant them where you want them. My clump of 'Ice Dance' has them popping up as much as 2' away from the main body of the plants. I usually don't separate them until I'm ready to divide the plant, and do it all at once.

o

Thanks,
I trimmed it back today and will leave the babies. It is such a cool plant. I am always afraid when I trim something with "fancier" leaves that they will stay looking that way for the season.

o

I am now getting flowers on my Japanese sedge. At least I think they are flowers. After trimming the foliage, some stems with dark brown things on the top grew. The brown things are opening up to be creamy yellow. Are these flowers and will they make seeds?
Debbie

o

Fri, May 13, 11 at 17:50

Yes and yes.

o

Thanks Don,
It seems kind of a strange time of year for a plant to be doing this. Is this the normal time for that grass?
Debbie

o

Sun, May 15, 11 at 6:32

Yes, it's normal. Many Sedges begin blooming in April/May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here