Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tall annual grass for screen in zone 5

Posted by marthacr z5 Me (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 11:20

I need to do some spot screening of the road and neighbors in 4 spots in my very traditional style and smallish yard. I've not used grasses anywhere. I want to be careful about incorporating them into my old fashioned style garden. I don't want them to stick out like a sore thumb. (I have lilacs, peonies, delphinium, iris.) My house is a large victorian, but the yard is small
I say annual to avoid the spread/dividing issue. (I just wrestled two huge siberian irises out of the garden yesterday!!)
I'd like something 5-8' tall. I did see the great Chicago photo of the P. Prince, but how long would it take to reach this size? I can link to some photos of the yard if that would help.

TIA for any ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tall annual grass for screen in zone 5

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 3, 10 at 8:26

5-8' from an annual ornamental grass in your zone won't be easy to accomplish. You might do better with a well-contained perennial grass, like Panicum virgatum or Miscanthus. If you constrain these grasses with root barriers, you can control their spread for some years, although eventually, division will be required.

There are annual meadow grasses which can reach these heights in a season, but many of them can self-seed rather easily.

o
RE: tall annual grass for screen in zone 5

Thanks for replying, Donn

I understand the root barrier method, but my "soil" isn't deep enough for that, I don't believe. I guess I'll have to consider something else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here