Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmydaisies

Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' ~ in zone 4?

luvmydaisies
18 years ago

Has anyone in zone 4 grown this grass and had it come back? I really love the way it looks and want to buy it, but I thought I would check in here first to see what others had to say about it.

Comments (22)

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

They keep coming back in zone 3, though are hardly the spectular plants you see in the magazines.
    You might also try doing a search on this forum, as this topic comes up every so often.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Though there are people who grow Aureola in and around Minneapolis, I would say as many have bad luck as good. It has been my experience and a couple others, that Albostriata (the white and green form) is hardier.

Rick

• garden_graphic_gal
    18 years ago

It's a pretty grass and worth the effort to try to overwinter it with mulch. Give it a try. Here's mine in zone 7.
    {{gwi:853939}}

• flybynyte
    18 years ago

I live in Z4 and planted one last year. Because of the combination of a dry summer(s) and lack of snow cover in our area this winter, I am very curious to see if mine comes back. There is no sign of it yet.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

They are always late to emerge here, if that helps.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Both my All Gold and Albostriata are up, here in z4 MN. I also had almost no snow. But I wouldn't give up on your Aureola yet.

• luvmydaisies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have any of the MN gardeners bought this locally or have you gotten this throught mail order? I cannot seem to find it any where!!

• leftwood
    18 years ago

I have seen it a few times in metro nurseries. Was just at Tangletown today. Was not there.

• flybynyte
    18 years ago

I purchased mine at a nursery in Inver Grove Heights---while on a visit. I have also seen it at many garden centers in my area.

Still no sign of any growth.

I expected my variegated moor grass to croak because of our winter---but, what a pleasant surpise---it's growing!!!

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Hi, i found this thread searching for information on this grass.

I just bought some and planted it in part shade (afternoon shade) mulched
    and watered regularly. About 2 weeks ago.
    It was about 4" tall, in a huge container and cost an arm and a leg and a few whiskers.
    It now has one tiny golden frond left, the rest looks like a tuft of withered grass.
    Everything around it is healthy

The attatched label with a gorgeous picture calls this grass tough, sturdy
    and "as easy to grow as regular grass".
    I understand it takes time to establish and get big, but this pathetic tuft
    hardly bears that out.

Is it dying or might it resurrect?
    Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Linnea2

• flybynyte
    18 years ago

BTW, my earlier posts stated I was waiting for it to emerge. I STILL AM!

All kidding aside, I am sad to report mine did not make it. Considering trying it again---and mulching heavy for winter.

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Flybynite,
    dry summer, zone 4 and no snow cover, at least yours had some justification.
    Mine appears to have expired within 2 weeks of fairly coddled conditions.
    If it has. How do I know? It's fading fast.
    I was wondering about the huge pot for such a small plant, and the price!
    And then the assurances on the label.
    I've killed very few plants. This one puzzles me.
    It seemed ok as long as it was in the pot
    I'll have to call the nursery and get their take on it.

• triciae
    18 years ago

I'm curious what others are having to pay for this grass? In our area, Mystic, CT...they are around $20/ga. Here's my expereince with them:

'Aureola' is thriving in my garden and because it's so beautiful and growing so well, I'm using them to edge one side of a winding stretch of grass pathway. So far, I've got 17 plants in the ground and will need another dozen to fifteen to finish the edging. We have to add a few every year 'cause of the cost. I'm thrilled w/the results though. It's fabulous!

Our 'Aureola' border receives a couple hours of early morning sun and then about half receive another two hours of mid-afternoon sun. For planting, we dug a trench (about 2' wide) and removed all the native soil down to about 18". Then, took the native soil and mixed with a ratio of approx. 25% native soil, 50% leaf mold, and 25% composted cow manure. We put a 6" layer of this mix in the bottom of the trench, planted and backfilled with the homemade mixture. After a watering in, we mulched with a good 4" of leaf mold/composted manure. In spring, we remulched w/the same type of mixture. I kept them watered twice/week for their first season. Now, they are basically on their own. It's been hot and so I've given the hedge supplemental water 3 times so far this season just 'cause I was worried about them. They were not showing any signs of stress. About a quarter of the plants are in flower now. They will continue to receive their top-dressing each spring. We did no winter protection...just left the grass to mulch the crown itself with spent foliage. Our snow cover was eratic, as always...but maybe more snow this past year than average.

I believe our sucess with this beautiful grass is due to the high organic soil which also retains moisture well and the thick mulch shading the roots. These grasses do NOT like to dry out. We are in Z6 (on the coast so, maybe we're Z6b). If I were in Z5...I'd probably cover all the hedge with a couple feet of leaves in late December and gradually remove the covering a few inches at a time starting around the first week in April until they were completely uncovered by the 2nd week in May. I'd also make sure to water well during the fall season so they don't go into winter dry. Ours are in full glory by Memorial Day in our zone.

Also, I've noticed that when we have overcast, foggy, coastal type weather...these grasses grow fairly quickly and seem the happiest. They pout some when it's sunny, hot, and the wind is blowing but recover nicely after sunset much like hydrangeas. So, I'd guess those who loose 'Aureola' over the winter have little precipitation rather than it's getting too cold. I believe dry ground is fatal to Jap. hakonechloa.

• linnea2
    18 years ago

Tricia, I thought I was coddling mine!
    Youve taken it further than I'm willing to go, though I will include
    More organic material next time. I did about half and half, but not that deep.

I told the nursery about mine and they gave me a new, bigger one
    in a gallon pot sight unseen. I buy a lot there.
    The gallon pots were 20.00 and I just saw them at another nursery for 20.00
    and 20% off.
    They had quite a few, looking a bit scuzzy, but not too bad.

Your walk sounds beautiful! Is it sun part shade or full shade?

• addictedtohosta
    18 years ago

Hello everyone!
    I am in Zone 4, southern MN. My Hakonechloa macra Aureola came through last winter with no problems, although it did have quite a few inches of leaves on it. I've recently purchased another nice size pot of it, and really like the look of it placed inside another pot along my stone pathway-this puts it up higher than if planted in the ground, and looks wonderful with the dark green hosta! Question-do you think I could over winter it in the nursery pot it is currently in? How would you suggest I do this in Zone 4? I am thinking maybe I would "plant" the pot in the ground this fall, and see if this works. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• john_4b
    18 years ago

I've had this plant here in the ground for 10 years now. It has grown into a very nice clump, and I've divided it and spread it around the garden. Plant the pot in the ground, and mulch around and over it when the ground freezes. It will not overwinter in the pot above ground. In the spring, carefully remove the mulch when the freeze-thaw early spring weather has past.

• triciae
    18 years ago

linnea2...we did go an extra mile and a half for these plants. They're expensive and we're putting in lots of them. So, we did the $100 hole for a $20 plant thing. The grasses are blooming nicely now. Their sited in a mostly shady location with early morning sun and a brief hit of mid-afternoon filtered light. The color of the grass really lights up our shady backyard garden area. It's been hot, hot, hot here and we've not had any measurable rain in over a month. The grasses are doing fine...I'm providing water about every 10 days or so. Actually, they've grown much faster than we ever expected and I'm going to divide next spring to avoid having to purchase so many more plants. Although, I'm hesitant to disturb them....:(

• dapfoer_charter_net
    18 years ago

Hello, I have a 20' row of hakonechloa macra for sale.It is very healty.I am moving from Mi to Fl in 3 weeks. call 248 224 6160 or email (dapfoer@charter.net)

• dsumma
    11 years ago

I've recently lost all my shade trees and now my gardens are frying..so most everything is being transplated elsewhere, esp. my hostas. However, I've read comflicting reports that H.m.'Aureola' will grow in full sun as well as shade. Would it be safe to plant this grass in place of my hostas? I think it would look lovely near my bamboo.
    Thanks!

• donn_
    11 years ago

In cooler climates, Hakone can be kept alive in full sun, as long as it is well watered, but it won't thrive. Part sun is best, as long as it isn't the hottest sun of the day. Will your Bamboo provide any shade?

• dsumma
    11 years ago

No the bamboo won't shade it and it'll get the western afternoon sun, which is why my hosta's need to be relocated. Such a bummer. I love shade gardening and now all I have is sun.

• donn_
    11 years ago

How about a nice semi-circular screen of Fargesia bamboo, running south to west. Then you'll have shade during the hottest time of the day.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions