Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

A busy month ahead!

donn_
12 years ago

With ship dates starting next week, I have the following inbound orders coming:

16 Tomatoes and 6 Peppers from Burpee.

45 Ferns, 57 grasses and 15 Black Mondos from PerennialMarket.

~25 grasses from Bluestem.

46 grasses and 6 sedums from Santa Rosa Gardens.

Most will be potted up or planted in nursery beds by the middle of May.

I hope the weather holds up.

I hope I hold up.

Comments (6)

• swontgirl_z5a
    12 years ago

Sounds like you will be busy Donn.Just pace yourself! It sounds like you grow eveything on it pots or nursery beds before putting it in real gardens?
    I'm glad I got some cleaning up done last week. It turned miserable towards the end of the week and the ground is now frozen up again. We had snow yesterday but quite a bit of it is gone. Still way too cold for me. At least the wind has stopped blowing for today. I can't wait for some real gardening weather.
    Debbie

• donn_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's right, Debbie. Probably 90% of the plants in my display beds spent a season or 3 in pots or nursery beds. These incoming plants range is size from 25-cell liners to 4" pots, so they won't be ready for the show until next year at least, for the most part. Every so often, I'll splurge and buy a mature plant at the nursery, but it's rare.

The weather's been off and on here, too. There were a couple of nice days last week, followed by 1.5" of rain. Today started nice, with calm winds and lots of sun. It got up to 60ð but now the wind has kicked up, and the clouds are here, and it's going to rain again.

• grass_guy
    12 years ago

Wow Donn! I haven't checked on here in while and it seems like you're just as busy as ever. I hope the shipments are spaced out a bit. Be sure to post some photos this spring.

• donn_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Paul! Glad to see you back.

I've spaced out the delivery as much as possible, but Wednesday and Thursday brought me deliveries from 3 vendors; Tomatoes and Peppers from Burpee, a 21-tray of Hakone 'Fubuki' from Creek Hill and 5 trays of ferns, Carex and Black Mondo quarts from Chief Mountain. I'll be potting these guys up for a few days.

What hot new grasses are you playing with this year? I think the 'Fubuki' will be my favorite. The 21s are a little small, but it's such a cool looking little grass.

• grass_guy
    12 years ago

Been so busy I haven't kept up with gardening forums much lately. You're going to have a busy time getting all those selections potted up...but it should be fun (weather cooperating). My current grass favs are the annual grasses: Pennisetum Prince, Princess, Caroline and Molly series. Beautiful, wide-bladed foliage, fast growers, and a little hardier than the tender PFG. I also really like Pennisetum Fireworks and Skyrocket. I like these annual grasses because I'm doing more container growing in my personal garden and they're just fun to work with and grow so fast. Another fav is Bouteloua gracilis, a native grass with the coolest blooms...also Bouteloua gracilis 'Blonde Ambition'. Love the hakone grasses, but they melt out in my summer humidity here (as do I).

• donn_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the Hakone's too. So far I've got the species macra, 'Aureola' and 'Beni-Kazi' in the ground, and they seem to like the climate here. This year I'm adding 'Fubuki,' 'All Gold,' 'Naomi' and 'Nicolas.'

I'll probably pick up some annual Pennisetums later in the spring, but I'm adding several selections to my perennial Fountain Grass assortment this year. I'm trying 'Pennstripe' again (lost all 5 last year)and some more 'Little Honey.' New to me will be 'Cassian,' 'Little Bunny' and 'Piglet.'

I'm also trying clumping bamboo for the first time. I've got 6 Fargesia denudata coming from SRG. They should be fun.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm