Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reshaping oat grass

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 12:01

A couple of years ago--before I knew better--I cut (or should I say "hacked") back a dead-looking portion of my Blue Oat Grass, Helictotrichon sempervirens. The shape has never recovered, though the plant seems healthy enough. Should I dig out the stubbly area and hope the plant then has room to reshape itself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reshaping oat grass

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 12:10

I'm not sure what you mean by "the shape has never recovered."

H. sempervirens is a cool season grass which can be cut back to inches 2-3 times a year, and should be at least once a year, in late winter. Each time you do it, new foliage will flush out.

If the part of the grass you cut back did not push up new foliage, chances are that part of the crown is dead.

If this is the case, dig the plant up and divide it, discarding the dead portions of the crown, and re-planting the divisions of the good portion.

o
RE: reshaping oat grass

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 18:03

I always thought that cutting it back the way I do with other grasses is a no-no with this one. Thanks.
I will dig it up and cut away the dead parts and replant (hoping for the best).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here