Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming of large grasses

Posted by katskan41 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 12:31

Hi all. We have some very large ornamental grasses, not sure what species. It grows very tall (10 feet) and has dense and thick, bamboo-like stalks.

Any suggestions on the best way to cut these down? I've used pruners but that is a lot of work. Was thinking of using a machete or similar tool.

Thanks.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming of large grasses

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 12:54

Rent a good gasoline powered hedge trimmer. It's like a chain saw motor with a hedge trimmer blade. A good quality (Echo) 20-24" trimmer will make fast work of any grass, but unless you have lots of grasses and hedges to trim, you probably can't justify the $300+ cost of purchase.

There are other, multi-use tools which can include a trimmer blade, which may be easier to justify owning, as you can use them for more than one task.

o

I've been able to cut my large miscanthus clumps with an electric hedge trimmer. I just work around the outer edge, removing canes as I cut toward the center. Sharp blade is key...and keep the cord out of the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting Back Ornamental Grasses

o

I'd like to thank both donn and grass guy for their suggestions. My wife and I were able to cut down our grasses with an electric hedge trimmer. This worked very well. We used a bungee cord to tie up the grasses and hold them together then used the trimmer at the base. Took some time to cut down the largest grasses but it worked!

Thanks again for the great idea.

o

Now that you've cut them back, be sure to clean the crown of debris that can cause rot. Rake through with a stiff metal rake.

Sounds like you managed to avoid the cord while trimming...I won't go into why I mention that...:)

o

I know your done with this task, but.........I use my electic chain saw on them, the bungee cord works really good to keep them in a nice thigt bunch doesn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here