Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdh1994

New growth when?

rdh1994
19 years ago

I planted a OG garden last year for the first time. So this will be my first year of any actual growth. I have some that I see the green coming through but others are quite brown yet. When will I know if I lost some of the grasses or not? When should I expect them all to have some green showing?

Lora

Comments (9)

• kidhorn
    19 years ago

Cool season grasses should start greening up about now. Warm season grasses probably won't show signs of life until sometime in May. I've had some that looked dead up to the beginning of June, and then grew like gangbusters. I suggest waiting until July. If there's no sign of life by then, they're probably dead.

• blackie57
    19 years ago

Lora, My cool season grasses have just started to peek through with a few green fronds... those are the Calamagrostis variety. The miscanthus and Pennisetum won't start to show any life uptil Late this month or early May. They need the warmth of the sun to come out of their dormancy.

Blackie

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Blackie nice to see ya on the message forum again this year. It's been a quiet winter but I'm ready for those grasses to come on! I have a few of the ones I couldn't get last year ready to put in the ground. I set the pots out where I wanted them and left them out and the darn rabbits thought it would be a tasty treat and nibbled some of the fronds off before I could get them planted! I'm gonna pull an Elmer Fudd if those darn rabbits don't get out of my yard! They have destroyed alot of my landscaping bushes!

Lora

• blackie57
    19 years ago

Been there, done that with the rabbits... just be careful, they can make you look damn foolish... Last year, after a family of rabbits took up residence under my front porch, making a buffett out of my perrenial bed along side the porch, my wife came outside one evening to find me sitting out there quietly with a whiffle ball bat in my hand.. with a questioning look on her face she asked me what I was doing.. I looked her in the eye and said..

"shhhhhhh...be vewy vewy quiet...I'm hunting wabbits..."

she just shook her head and went back inside... ;)

Honestly, your grasses will be fine once the start taking off... a little nibble by Peter Cottontail isn't gunna hurt these rascals...

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Blackie, I had a real nice visual of you with that bat! Thanks for the laugh!

Lora

• kvolk
    19 years ago

I had a domestic rabbit escapee from the neighbor that was eating my plants. I tolerated it until he ate off one of my Acer pseudoseiboldianum seedlings. He is now an angel rabbit.

• wqcustom
    19 years ago

How about Muhlenbergia capillaris, is this a warm or cool season grass? This is my first spring with it, I bought it at the end of the year last year, and am wondering when it will begin to come up.
    Thanks!

• dereks
    19 years ago

wqcustom, Muhly grass is a warm season grass. I would think you would be seeing new growth by now. Mine is, even after some hard frosty nights.

• wqcustom
    19 years ago

Thanks dereks. Mine is showing no signs of life. All my other grasses are growing but this one and Pennisetum Hamiln. Guess I'll give it a little longer and wait and see.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions