Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbiejo_gw

Ornamental grass for privacy screen

barbiejo
17 years ago

I am a gardener and last year we bought a house next to some very loud, obnoxious, nosy neighbors. We cannot use our backyard at all without them coming outside and our tiny dogs fight with their huge pit bull when they are outside at the same time. Our property is separated from theirs with 60' of 4'high chain link fence which is in like-new condition which discourages us from tearing it down and putting up a privacy fence. The problem is: Inbetween the chain link fence and our cement driveway is only 3-5 inches in some spots (8-10 in others).

So it's not wide enough to put another fence next to it and it's not wide enough to plant like thuja trees because my husband says they would end up buckling the driveway with their roots and when I suggested lattice to him with vines, he said that the wind will whip them around too much because we have nothing to attach the top of them to. So I have been looking at ornamental grasses. Something that will get at least 6ft, stand reasonably sturdy and not need that extra ground space. We don't use our driveway, so bushiness is not a problem. I was thinking like zebra grass, flame grass or some other Miscanthus sinensis. Anyone have any suggestions? Do I have enough room for this? I don't care how much of the grasses go into their yard. We're desperate!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions