Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carex 'Evergold'

Posted by Avid Z5/Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 12:51

Hello.

Has anyone been growing this sedge successfully in Z5?

A few years back. 'Bowles Golden' was considered marginally hardy in Z5 but I have had no problems with it. I tried 'Evergold' last year and all 3 plants are DOA this Spring. I went back to the books and now see that 'Evergold' gets varying hardiness ratings from different sources from Z5 to Z7. Drat.

Still, I'd like to give it another shot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Bowles golden

How do you like your Bowle's golden sedge? I looked for one all summer last year after seeing some pictures in a book, but couldn't find any. I finally found someone at our farmer's market selling them recently, and I bought 3 of them.

I am a sucker for gold-leaved plants, and Bowle's is the nicest gold "grass" I have seen. I may grow one of them in one of our ponds, and plant the others around the pond edges. How tall did yours get? Is it invasive?

o
RE: Carex 'Evergold'

• Posted by Avid Z5/Chicago (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 21:46

dawgie,

'Bowles' has been totally hardy here for me, and has had no die off in the center, unlike many grasses and sedges. I've grown it for 3-4 years now and its beautiful all season long. It gets about 18 inches tall, I'd guess, and I have it in a mostly shaded, evenly moist spot. It withstands drying out, occasionally. The best 2 Carex I've grown are 'Ice Dance' and 'Bowles.' I would put 'Evergold' up there had it proved hardier...

o

I suspect that why some grasses (and other plants) are given different zonal ratings is for two reasons: not every winter sends temps to a zones lower limit; and many gardens offer micro-climates that are warmer than the greater surrounding area.

I would certainly like to try C. Evergold in my z5a garden, but since my last winters low was -18F, I doubt that I will. Do you know the lowest temps of past winters in your garden?

o

• Posted by Avid Z5/Chicago (My Page) on
    Thu, May 5, 05 at 22:58

BruMeta, I think you are right about temps. Additionally, I think that, in areas as cold as zone 5, variations in conditions can kill of plants that are marginally hardy. I'm thinking specifically about: *long dry spells in winters without snow cover * warm spells with heavy rain, followed by a hard freeze, *wide temperature variations, causing heaving of soil.

At any rate, this past winter in Chicago was rather mild, w/o more than a day or 2 of sub-zero temps. I think if the colder temps of the 70's and early 80's reappear around here, I will lose many plants that I now take for granted.

o

I sympathize. I lost two of my favorite Deschampsias this winter (and they are rated hardy to zone 4!). So, we plant anew...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here