Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental grass that is shade tolerant?

Posted by meredith77 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 13:02

Does anybody know of an ornamental variety that might work with 4-5 hours of morning sun exposure? Otherwise would be in full or partial shade the rest of the day. I'm looking for something tallish (4' or so) to balance out some zebra grass that is in the sunny part of the front of my house. It looks a little lopsided at the moment :) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental grass that is shade tolerant?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 13:57

Chasmanthium latifolium, AKA Northern Sea Oats, will deal with that kind of sun, and will probably reach 4' in height when mature. Very pretty grass, with bamboo-looking leaves.

o

River oats/ N. Sea Oats does well in shady locations. Mine gets about 3-4 hours of sun max in the afternoons and it has thrived. Supposed to be able to handle full shade. Mine is about 3-4' tall by mid-summer.

Hakone grass also does well in the shade, and will actually burn up from too much sun. It is very slow growing, however, and only reaches about 12-18" tall.

I have had very good luck growing Miscanthus "Adagio" in a location that gets sun from about 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mine are about 2-3' tall and just as wide.

Various Carex varieties also grow well in the shade. I've got Bowle's Gold Sedge, Carex elata, and it's done very well with limited sunlight. It's a nice bright gold color and really shows up in shady spots. Grows about 18-24" tall.

o

Try Miscanthus sinensis 'Variegatus' or
M. sin. 'Morning Light'
Both of these Variegated cultivars do pretty good in a part sun location.
A grouping of Calamagrostis brachytrichoides might work as it does fine in part sun.
or
Chasmanthium latifolium, although I don't find that it gets nearly as tall in a shady location ....
A.

o

I have Miscanthus 'Morning Light' in a spot that gets morning sun and it is doing fine. Probably blooms less than full sun, I actually don't know because it is my only one. It is between 4 and 5' tall.

o

Calamagrostis brachytricha does well with very little sun.

o

actually, i have zebra grass growing in those conditions--few hours of sun, and other than that, shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here