Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdh1994

switch grass recommendations please

rdh1994
19 years ago

I have a grass garden that a retailer kinda laid out for me with suggestions and I planted last year. I couldn't get all the grasses he recommended, he was out of a couple of them and I've found one kind already the Panicum "Shenandoah". The one he suggested for behind that was the Panicum "Rotstrahlbusch". I couldn't find this one at my local nursery. I just want to make sure that this is a good suggestion before I hunt to the ends of the earth to find it. I will need about 3 or 4 for this particular area. Does anyone have experience with these two grasses and would you recommend the Rotstrahlbusch or something else similar that is better looking. I have not seen the Rotstrahlbusch, only in pictures on the internet and they weren't very good pictures.

Lora

Comments (12)

• mrmorton
    19 years ago

I've had the 'Rotstrahlbusch'in my yard for several years now. It's really quite beautiful in the fall, with the redtipped leaves and all. From my experience the only real difference with the two is that 'Shenandoah' is smaller in size, with slightly different fall color(more wine-like as opposed to reds and yellows.
    I'm also a big fan of Panicum 'Heavy Metal' It has really cool metallic Blue foliage with great fall color(bright yellow). It gets about the same height as Rosty up there.

• well_rooted
    19 years ago

I am puzzled as to the logic of planting P. Rotstrahlbusch behind P. Shenandoah. They are very similar. And I think
    Rotstrahlbusch is the shorter of the two.

The Bluestem Nursery website has some info on the differences between some of the red Panicums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Nursery

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Since I have never seen the Rotstrahlbusch I couldn't say what the logic is for putting it behind the Shenandoah. Maybe since it does have a different fall color than the Shenandoah and it is taller. I guess you would have to see my layout of my grass garden. Thanks for the website link.

Mr. Morton, I like your description of Heavy Metal. I might take a peek at that one. :)

Lora

• newgars
    19 years ago

Heavy Metal sometimes has touble with rust. If you want a real winner, I have never seen a better switch grass than 'Northwind' from Northwind Perennial Farm, Lake Geneva, WI. If you want a big blue 'Dallas Blues' has a prime spot in my garden.

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Newgars,
    thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check those two also!

Lora

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Yes, P.v. ÂShenandoah and ÂRotstrahlbusch are similar, and it is their slight differences, easy to see when placed side-by-side, that give me delight. I have them along a walkway where I can study them in minute detail, amazed by their "similar differences," especially in fall and when in flower. Perhaps they will not stay together, but their similarities interest me more than their contrast with a nearby P.v. ÂHeavy Metal.Â

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

P. v. Dallas Blues works great for red/purple flowers with a powder/blue foliage....does great in combinations in my gardens with P. v. Prarie Sky and Cloud Nine for contrast and highlight...Shenandoah is planted behind Prarie Sky, because Prarie Sky tends to flop over if dew or rain stick to the blades. Over all, Shenandoah is the best for color in the fall for me, with Cloud Nine and Dallas Blues helping with the best golden and sunlight winter colors....

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    19 years ago

How tall does Dallas Blues get? Would it be appropriate behind Shenandoah? I'm so confused on what to get! I wish you could see my layout, I bet someone on here could tell me exactly what would be the best to put in my last spot. I think it's more the color scheme that this retailer was trying to give me when he kinda laid out this plan. He wasn't a professional but now that I know a little more about what I planted, he gave me ideas on grasses that gave me good summer, fall and winter color. I can't find the Rotstrabulsch so I'm gonna have to use something else that would go good planted in 3's or 4 behind the Shenandoah.

Lora

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

All Panicums combine well, but you must please your personal preferences. Since you seem to be getting into grasses, please let me recommend Rick DarkeÂs "Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses." This is the best book on grasses, in my opinion, and it carries many photos of different Panicums in combination with others.

This book should be sold with a warning, however. Once you open it to consult DarkeÂs concisely but thoroughly presented information on any one of the bookÂs myriad spiecies, you will find yourself still reading two hours later. The bookÂs photos and info, like grasses themselves, are enjoyably addictive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Encyclopedia of OG

• AgastacheMan
    19 years ago

another great book to have, especially in the field because of the size since the encyclopedia is larger, is a book Rick Darke has wrote too, plus it has the new varieties listed that the encyclopedia doesn't(with photos), is Timber Press Pocket guide To Ornamental Grasses....Same author, updated material, smaller book, and cheaper too.....what could you ask for....?

• rdh1994
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you both for the recommendations of the books. I probably should have gotten a couple of good books *before* I did the grass garden and used my own ideas with suggestions from this forum. I think the guy that recommended the grasses I already have did a pretty good job of giving me a variety but now I'm stuck and don't know how to solve this little problem of what to fill in the one area I have left between the other grasses. I'll look in these books and see if I can find something. With my luck I'll find something fitting and won't be able to find it around here!

Lora

• Wildgardener
    19 years ago

I'd like to plant a panicum for privacy between my neighbor's yard. I already have a perennial bed there with a weeping blue spruce. I've just heard about Cloud nine and because of the height thought it would work well for privacy. I live in zone 6. Any experience with how well cloud nine performs for you would be helpful before I take the bait and buy it.

Thanks.

Sponsored
More Discussions