Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wood_fern

horsetail (Equisetum) in containers

wood_fern
15 years ago

Was looking for ideas for my entry way and found HORSETAIL (Equsetum) used in CONTAINERS in an article in current Garden Ideas magazine (spring 08). Containers arranged to create a short fence/border to define landing of front door. Next to horsetail were containers of various variegated grasses. Contrasts between horsetail and grasses in colors, textures, sizes and shapes make very nice effect. Anybody ever try this...raising horsetail in containers?

Comments (10)

• grass_guy
    15 years ago

I've planted Equisetum hyemale in containers...no problems. It can definitely be a container plant. You can even plant them in the ground, within containers to control growth/spread. I think the vertical habit would work really well with a variety of other container plants...just keep the horsetail in its own container or it will choke out the competition.

Keep the soil moist/wet. Use a pot without drainage holes, or place a liner in the pot. You can take cuttings from the horsetail for indoor arrangements.

• greginmich
    15 years ago

I planted some in terra cotta pots last year and re-potted this year after the terra cotta broke apart. The plants survived the winter without any protection but look like they are starting over now. The new pots have plugs in the drain holes so the pots hold water and the plants seem to like this much better. They do well standing in water. I have been a little disappointed in the size of the horsetail so far. I bought mine at a local nursery in Michigan and the shoots are pencil sized or smaller. Digging Dog nursery sells a variety that is supposed to be much bigger and sounds more like what I originally had in mind--a more dramatic looking plant.

• pranisa
    13 years ago

I'm looking for a design idea on what type of container & pot would look best for a horsetail (Equisetum). I would like to put the horsetail (Equisetum) in a pot, one on each side of the garage door in front of the house. I bought a big, glazed, ceramic pot from Costco and I'm not sure if that is a good look for horsetail (Equisetum).

• donn_
    13 years ago

It's obviously a highly personal matter of taste, but that's the nature of design.

I've seen two different container presentations of Equisetum which struck me.

One was a fairly tall and narrow copper cylinder, which perfectly mimicked the columnar stature of the Horsetail.

The other was a ~50 gallon galvanized aluminum trough with three large clumps of Equisetum.

Both displays were very statuesque in garden settings.

• gerry619
    8 years ago

• waterbug_guy
    8 years ago

I can't imagine a pot Horsetail wouldn't look good in. I do prefer a gazed, foam, plastic pot that doesn't weep moisture.

I've kept Horsetail in several climates (no serious freezing) in pots and it does fine. It does have a reputation for being invasive, good grower, etc... And that is kind of true. But not always. It can struggle too. It's not generally a plant it today and it turns into a prize winner next week type plant.

I've always planted in clay soil. I generally don't fertilize the first year. Then not a lot. I don't like potting soil because I generally grow in a non draining pot and potting soil, compost, mulch and even top soil doesn't do well. In standing water you can even grow just in pea gravel but some fertilizer is needed. I like the clay because it can hold the water a long time if needed.

Horsetail can take standing water but imo does better not in standing water. It can rot, not often, but can like when some other factor isn't great. Wet feet is fine and how I normally grow it. But the best possible conditions is still the same old well drain potting soil but watered often, like even a couple of times a day. That's way too much of a pain for me, so I like clay soil, no drainage, no standing water. Just easier. Even here in Phoenix I can not water for a week in summer when on a trip and it'll pull though. In San Jose CA 2,3,4 weeks without water was OK depending on the location (sun), pot and plant size.

• PRO
    Sheila Jeffrey Landscape Design
    5 years ago

I have a question about the spores. I have dealt with gardens in the past that were absolutely over-run with Equisetum hyemale (usually lakeside or in shady, gravelly areas) as well as other varieties (the WORST!). I love the architectural qualities of Equisetum hyemale and I would only plant in a watertight container, but I am terrified of introducing the spores from the tops into my neighbourhood. Please respond with any experience or ideas you might have. Thanks!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

The spores only appear on the fertile stems, which have a dramatically different appearance from the more typical, sterile ones. They have a brownish, cone-looking appendage at the top (where the spores are produced) and no branching or whorls of foliage. And in my area, only appear in spring before the new sterile stems emerge. Pull or cut those off as soon as you see them appear and you should be safe.

• kristie_e_n_clarke
    4 years ago

Any recommendations on the depth of planter needed? I am planning a long trough with horsetail as a privacy screen for a pormuch- so a long term planting. Any thoughts welcome- thanks!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions