Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
horsetail (Equisetum) in containers

Posted by wood_fern (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 14:15

Was looking for ideas for my entry way and found HORSETAIL (Equsetum) used in CONTAINERS in an article in current Garden Ideas magazine (spring 08). Containers arranged to create a short fence/border to define landing of front door. Next to horsetail were containers of various variegated grasses. Contrasts between horsetail and grasses in colors, textures, sizes and shapes make very nice effect. Anybody ever try this...raising horsetail in containers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: horsetail (Equisetum) in containers

I've planted Equisetum hyemale in containers...no problems. It can definitely be a container plant. You can even plant them in the ground, within containers to control growth/spread. I think the vertical habit would work really well with a variety of other container plants...just keep the horsetail in its own container or it will choke out the competition.

Keep the soil moist/wet. Use a pot without drainage holes, or place a liner in the pot. You can take cuttings from the horsetail for indoor arrangements.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 08 at 15:47

Be aware that if this plant is not planted in a closed bottom container, it will escape. Once it escapes, it can be one of the worst garden thugs I have ever dealt with. Bottomless barriers (even pretty deep ones) or pots with drainage holes will not work to control this plant. It seems to do just fine in a closed bottom container planted in a mixture of three parts peat and one part pH neutral sand.

o

I planted some in terra cotta pots last year and re-potted this year after the terra cotta broke apart. The plants survived the winter without any protection but look like they are starting over now. The new pots have plugs in the drain holes so the pots hold water and the plants seem to like this much better. They do well standing in water. I have been a little disappointed in the size of the horsetail so far. I bought mine at a local nursery in Michigan and the shoots are pencil sized or smaller. Digging Dog nursery sells a variety that is supposed to be much bigger and sounds more like what I originally had in mind--a more dramatic looking plant.

o

I'm looking for a design idea on what type of container & pot would look best for a horsetail (Equisetum). I would like to put the horsetail (Equisetum) in a pot, one on each side of the garage door in front of the house. I bought a big, glazed, ceramic pot from Costco and I'm not sure if that is a good look for horsetail (Equisetum).

o

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 9:20

It's obviously a highly personal matter of taste, but that's the nature of design.

I've seen two different container presentations of Equisetum which struck me.

One was a fairly tall and narrow copper cylinder, which perfectly mimicked the columnar stature of the Horsetail.

The other was a ~50 gallon galvanized aluminum trough with three large clumps of Equisetum.

Both displays were very statuesque in garden settings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here