Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a Miscanthus sinensis

Posted by bridgetr USDA Zone 7 (bridgetrosen@comcast.net) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 15:02

Our Miscanthus sinensis has gotten to big for where it was planted. We love the plant so I would like to move it. Is it too late to do so now? How deep and wide should I dig it and how big of a hole should I dig to plant it?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a Miscanthus sinensis

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 6:07

It's not too late, in fact, now is a good time. Dig it up with just a few inches extra perimeter, and go down one full spade depth (~12") when you dig it out. Have the new hole already dug and ready for it, the same size as the rootball, and get it into the new hole immediately. Don't plant the top of the rootball deeper than it was before. Water it in well, and watch it's water for a few months while it re-establishes itself.

o

another option is to do as Donn mentioned with the additional step of cutting the clump into 2 or more pieces and either replanting one of these in the same spot or doing whatever you like with any of the divisions. Don't be shy, you can literally hack these lovely plants with an axe and, after combing out stray root material, pot them or plant them as you please.

o

Only suggestion I would add to what's listed above is to dig the new hole larger (wider) than the rootball. It's always good to make planting holes as large as possible, to loosen up the soil. The plant will establish quicker and grow better that way.

o

Thanks - I'll do it this week. We are suppose to have some nice days.

o

We did it! I didn't expect it to be so difficult. It was very heavy. I hope it likes it's new home.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here