Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy a few dozen Pennistenum alopecuroides?

Posted by bellarosa z4-5/IL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 20:15

Hi,

I am interested in planting around a dozen Pennistenum alopecuroides grasses around a small tree. Any suggestions on where I can buy them. I don't need may - around a dozen should do, I think and don't want too spend too much. I'm concerned that plugs may be too small and plus, I don't need 50 of them! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy a few dozen Pennistenum alopecuroides?

These should be available by mail order. You don't need to start with 1 gallon plants with Pennisetum. They will fill out quickly. A search on Goolge brings up a first page with the following suppliers:

Santa Rosa Gardens
Nature Hills
Wayside Gardening
Bluestem

o

If all you can find locally is larger pots, you can divide the clumps into four pieces and plant them. Now is the time to do that since they're a warm season grass.

Or wait until later in the season when they go on clearance, the small pots transplant better anyway.

o

Thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely look into these options.

Has anyone grown, Pennistenum, Cassian? Its very pretty and I'm wondering if its hardy.

o

Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Cassian' is hardier than the species in general. I believe it is hardy in zone 5. Maybe even colder? I'm not sure about zone 4. Maybe someone here can verify.

It's not as small as 'Little Bunny' for sure and just a bit bigger than 'Hameln', but still compact, about 2 to 3' tall. It's a nice selection.

o

Did you try Bluestone perennials?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here