Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trimming groundcover

Posted by weeddummie NSW (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 20:18

I have this common clover-like groundcover (http://weeds.homeunix.net/~kat/weeds/pages/5.html - it's not a weed in my garden afterall, but I'm not sure what it's called, any ideas? :)) and some parts have dried out, while others are still nice and green. I would like to clean it out and remove or even trim the living bits, but is there an easy way other than randomly clipping bits? It's crawls quite a long way, so it'll be bad to accidentally cut places near the roots when it's tangled up.

I also love pulling it upwards to sweep underneath the plant :)

Thanks for all of your help so far. This garden forums is great, I'm glad I've found it :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trimming groundcover

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 18:00

Does it get little orange berries on it?

o

Is this "Gill-over-the-Ground"? If it is, I have it, and I like it; it flowers blue in late spring/early summer. You will have to restrain it, however, or let it just go as it pleases. It does not seem to choke out other, more desirable plants. Your location would help us to help you identify this.

o
RE: trimming groundcover-2.

Or it could be "Golden Thread," which I also have and love. If its roots are very thin and yellow, that's what it is. (Your photo and my garden are one hundred miles apart, as I write, so I cannot dash outside to verify my any of this.) But why post this in the ornamental grass forum?

o

I couldn't find a good picture of "golden thread" yet, but it's not Gill-over-the-Ground (it has white flowers, don't know about orange berries, but I see black dots under, shape is the same, but with a smooth rather than crinkly surface). I know I shouldn't have posted it here, in my dumb moments I was thinking this groundcover is a kind of ornamental grass (it's green and grassy...doh me!). Too bad we can't delete posts.

Thanks for the replies nevertheless :)
PS: I'm located in NSW in australia

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 14, 05 at 7:53

Creeping Raspberry (Rubus calcinoides)?

o

Hmm...doesn't look like it (thanks for replying btw :)). The leaves do not have the lines on them, it's very smooth, a bit like clover grass (with the arches on the edge) but with smooth green colour (no shades). Maybe it's a kind of clover? I really should take a closer pic soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here