Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How hard is it to dig out large established ornamental grasses?

There is a chance I could get some if I do the digging. Before I say yes, IÂm wondering if they are a tough thing to dig up. I have not seen them and donÂt know the diameter.

I remember hearing here that some have had a lot of trouble. It would be just me and my trusty shovel and pitchfork, an average sized, average strength woman. IÂve never grown any so donÂt know how rooted in they are, or if they can taken out in pieces like daylily.

Comments (6)

• donn_
    15 years ago

Look one or two threads below yours, and you'll find answers to all your questions. This topic has been well covered in the forum.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found them now! I must have used the wrong keywords the first time.

As it turned out, the "free" grasses went to somebody else. ("free" if you donÂt count the labor, that is) Now IÂm kind of glad!

I actually do have some still-potted grasses I bought last year that I overwintered in a window well. IÂm normally on the perennial forum. I had no idea from reading there that their expansion was such a problem. I will have to go get some landscape fabric before I plant these. I was planning on putting at least some into a new perennial bed. Now IÂm thinking they had better be put on their own and not intermixed with more docile perennials.

What I have, if it makes a difference with variety, are:
    Morning Light Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis),
    Cabaret Grass (Miscanthus sinensis var. condensatus)
    Hameln Fountain Grass
    "Old Gold" Japanese Sedge grass (Carex oshimensis "Evergold")

IÂm thinking I should take precautions with the two miscanthus varieties.

• grass_guy
    15 years ago

Every grass you listed is a nice clumping variety. Not only CAN you plant in mixed perennial beds, but you SHOULD. That's where grasses can really compliment other plantings.

The Cabaret could be a specimen grass, or treated as a backdrop. Provide at least half the mature height in potential girth. For example, a Cabaret should have about 4 to 5 ft available for base growth.

Morning Light won't need quite as much, maybe 3 to 4 ft.

Pennisetum Hameln is a dwarf clumping fountain grass that would not be difficult to divide or relocate if need be. Samne thing with the carex...very easy to divide, relocate, or transplant.

As you suggested, the Miscanthus will be the larger varieties and should be planted based on mature size, not on the pot they're currently in.

Don't plant too close to a foundation, provide enough room for them to fill out all the way around.

All of this is based on treating the Miscanthus as specimen type plantings within the bed. I prefer to see the grasses in their full form, not cramped into spaces. Massed planting for effect would be the exception.

NONE of these grasses mentioned, however, are going to create competitive issues within the perennial bed. Just as you plan the other plantings, plan and space grasses appropriately as well.

Hope this helps out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on selecting appropriate ornamental grasses

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, grass guy! I was relieved to find they could be planted with perennials, because I did not have a place for them ready otherwise. My inspiration garden was one I see driving around that has some tall grasses at the side of the house interplanted with blooming plants. However, I donÂt know what grasses they used so hoped to get something similar just from reading the tags before I bought.

I planted 4 of them in the perennial bed as planned. All except the dwarf carex grass are to be background.

I planted lilies around the foreground of the Cabaret grass. By the time it expands to meet them the Asiatic lilies will need to be dug anyway. They need to be divided about every 3 years as it is. Also around the Hameln. I donÂt know how fast these grow but I wonÂt put anything nearby that canÂt be moved easily.

• patsyrose
    15 years ago

My grasses are beginning to die in he ceners and need to be dug up. I would appreciate any advice from you pros who have done this. I love them and don't want to let them go. Please remember I'm a new member and appreciate your input. Thanks!

• donn_
    15 years ago

Wait a while, until the new growth starts showing itself. You'll find the most dense new growth will be around the outer perimeter of the center-dying crown.

Using a very sharp spade, of some such tool, cut new divisions out of that new growth. Take as much root mass as you can handle. Avoid the dead roots on the interior part of the division. I bareroot the divisions, by washing all soil off the roots, and then prune away the dead roots.

Pot up or plant those divisions, and you'll have entirely new and healthy clones of the original plant.

Sponsored
More Discussions