Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Micanthus Central Park

trudi_d
19 years ago

Does anyone know if the seeds are viable?

Comments (7)

• donn_
    19 years ago

I sowed some on 2/17...no action yet. No action on any Miscanthus yet, including some that I know are viable.

• donn_
    19 years ago

Trudi...first sprouts in WS'd Miscanthus, today. The first was self-gathered seed from the M.s.'New Hybrids' that I WS'd last year.

• donn_
    18 years ago

Trudi...'Central Park' seed is viable. Got my first sprout today.

• donn_
    18 years ago

That was the only sprout, out of 8 cells with 9 seeds each. I'm just about to pot him up, and I thought I'd post an update. Leaves about 5" long, 5 distinct stalks and I think I see a slight variegation.

I also potted up 6 M.s.'New Hybrids' from seed gathered from last year's WS'd plants.

That's it for WS Miscanthus. Over 100 cells, and only 7 plants. None of the named varieties that I traded for got any action at all.

• hillspride
    18 years ago

Donn, You have lots of patience to say the least. Are your trasplants still doing well?

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

please remember that the cultivars of miscanthus do not come true from seed... just as many perennials do not come true from seed either. any seedlings from them cannot legally be called the same as the mother plant. while the grass will probably be a beautiful grass there will be some differences some minute and some very noticeable... maybe the height or the bloom time or the shade of coloring of the plumes etc. This is why there are very few ornamental grass seeds available for commercial retail sale

Sue
    'The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'

• donn_
    18 years ago

M.s. 'New Hybrids' is an exception to that rule, Sue. Two others in the series, 'Early Hybrids' and 'Late Hybrids' also come true from seed. The 'New Hybrids' that I spring sowed last year, flowered and produced viable seed, which I wintersowed this year. These 3, and at least 100 other OG's are available as seed from Jelitto.

Hillspride..This year's seedlings are doing great. My nursery bed is over full, and I'm in the process of making new beds to transplant them to this fall and next spring. I haven't tabulated the results of all the sowing yet, but Blue Fescue is the most prolific, and I have two big clumps of something I traded for that was called "Foxtail Type Grass." They're over 4' tall in the foliage, and looking a lot like Elymus canadensis, with 6" plumes. When the sun comes back, I'll post photos for help with the ID.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions