Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Ribbon Grass 'Strawberries & Cream'...Invasive?

thisismelissa
14 years ago

Ok, so my experience with grasses is very limited, I'll start by saying that.... Hostas, those I'm good with and do frequent that forum.

Upon coming over to this forum I did do a search and didn't find much on this variety of ribbon grass.

That said.... is it known to be invasive?

I think I bought a 1 gallon pot in either 2008 or 2009. The clump is now at least 30" across. And today while cleaning up the bed, I found runners a good 6-10" out from the clump itself.

So, now I'm wondering if I'm going to be sorry I planted it. It's interesting, though I'm not in love with it enough to keep it if it's unruly. It's a full sun, south-facing garden.

Should I rip it out before it gets any more established?

Thanks,

Melissa

Comments (7)

• mulchy
    14 years ago

My friend gave me some strawberry and cream ribbon grass because it was very invasive for her, I planted it in a spot in my back yard and let it go. It has really walked out. I also planted regular ribbon grass and it really spread. My hubsand sprayed it with round up last fall, it started growing back this spring, so he burnt it and yesterday I was working in that bed and it's still coming up, I would get rid of it, perhaps you could plant it in an area that was outside your beds, like on a property line ...

• nutmeg4061
    13 years ago

This is the description by Santa Rosa, where I purchased mine. Container isn`t a bad idea.

"A very attractive cultivar of ribbon grass. Green and white foliage; during cool seasons, its foliage will be blushed with pink. Stems are white as is the flower spike. Grows well in moist, wet conditions and in poorly drained soils. Grow in partial sun to full shade. Fast spreader. A vigorous grower, and considered deer resistant once established. Excellent for erosion control, and makes an excellent container plant. Tolerates sandy or rocky soil, even windy coastal conditions, as long as water is provided."

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ended up giving it away pretty promptly after my post.

I talked with a nursery worker about it and she said that at their store, they have a sign posted near their ribbon grasses warning of their invasiveness.

I was able to get most of it up, but there were a few pieces that remain and are still popping up!

BTW, thanks for the kind words on my gardens/hostas.

• PRO
    Tommy Carvers Garden of Flowers
    8 years ago

How cold can Strawberries and Cream grass get? In spring planting.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

It's hardy to zone 3 so can take cold winters. Plants already with foliage could become damaged with late spring frosts but will regrow. It is on the MN invasive species list so maybe not a very wise choice in your area.

• ehunt123
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm Zone 5b (Southern NH). I left mine in a pot over the winter, where we had record snowfall, above the ground, just to see if it was hardy. It sprouted right up with my other cool season grasses. I had this in the ground before and it will spread, but nothing like my blue lyme grass does. I've seen many parking lots in my area, on the islands which are not only abused by customers but also not irrigated except for when it rains, replace day lillies with these because they'll eventually fill in the area.

Sponsored
More Discussions