Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass for sloping hill

Posted by zeak 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 21:21

Hi. My front yard has a moderate sloping hill (pretty full sun) that takes on a lot of water runoff from the house. The flat yard at the bottom gets soaked and stays moist forever. Right now this area is mainly mulch and a few small plants from the prior owners. I'm looking for any suggestions of plants or grasses that are thirsty and can soak up the runoff. I'm hoping for something attractive and interesting like chunky ornamental grasses but colorful plants would be great too. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass for sloping hill

Yellow Archangel and lemon balm will probably cover it quickly, but don't do that if you want to plant any small shrubs such as azaleas, as they will overgrow them.

There are also some grass-like plants that love moist soil
[see https://www.google.com/search?q=grass-like+plant+likes+moisture&oq=grass-like+plant+likes+moisture&aqs=chrome..69i57.19952j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8 ]

If you wish to have a garden, there are many plants that like moist shade; link follows. Others may have more specific ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google links

o
RE: grass for sloping hill

Contrary to common belief, plants do not soak up excess water - they only absorb what they need to grow. Your best bet is to select plants that like moist conditions - they will not eliminate the excess water conditions but they will thrive in it........whereas most other plants would not be happy, good drainage being the watchword for 95% percent of them! With regards to OG's for this situation, both feather reed grass (Calamagrostis) and ribbon grass (Phalaris arundinacea) are extremely tolerant of wet or waterlogged soils. Be aware that ribbon grass is often considered an aggressive spreader.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here