Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassboro

stipa arundinacea sirocco

grassboro
13 years ago

Does anyone know anything about stipa arundinacea sirocco? I saw this grass today and liked it a lot. I don't see a lot about it on the web. Also, any suggestions on the best use of this grass.

Comments (6)

• donn_
    13 years ago

I've never seen it other than in photos, but since it can be grown from seed, you'll probably have to deal with it re-seeding in your warm climate. Just something to keep in mind.

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I am growing these from seed I planted late last summer. All the tiny plants made it through winter here. They are really taking off now, about 10 inches tall with quite a few new blades starting. They seem to grow fast with some extra watering (we have been in a 4 month long drought and in the upper 70's for over a month now). The blades are a pinkish color from the start and have a definite weeping habit. I have them in a hot spot in full sun planted in very sandy soil on a bank with gravel mulch. I read they like growing on the dry side with good drainage and they hate shade.

The blades are about 1/16 inch wide, very delicate and narrow.

They came up easy from seed and at the same time as the Nassella tenussima (formerly stipa tenussima) which spreads easily from seed. I rather think these two grasses are similar but the N. tenussima is a much finer bladed chartreuse colored grass. I have them both coming up in the same general hot dry area.

I read they are only good to zone 8 but believe they are probably more hardy than that since the tiny ones made it through winter as well as the N. tenuissima and we got very cold this year. I am hoping for seeds to plant quite a few more. I like the leaf color. I recommend it highly.

• goblugal
    12 years ago

For what it's worth, the breeder of this (Pan American) has just reclassed it as Anemanthele Arundinacea Sirocco

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

It gets so confusing when they do that. It seems the Stipas are all being reclassified.

I looked into this more. It seems there are two types, if what I read is correct, but am now rather confused due to the name different sources use. I ran across a site that described the "Sirocco" type as an annual grass that is the only naturally occurring pink grass. The Stipa arundinacea "Pheasants Tail" is a different type and was described as a perennial. What I ordered as seed (from Pase) and am supposedly growing is the "Pheasants Tail" and it is pinkish/copper colored. Whatever. I like it and think it will make a great color contrast in my garden no matter what the name is.

• grassboro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the leaf color also and plan to get one tomorrow. I saw them at a Lowes. It is a copper, green, pinkish color. The tag on it reads Sirocco Feather Grass Nasella Sirocco Stipa arundinacea 'Sirocco'. The cold hardiness is zone 6 (0 to -10F).

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

I think I am clear on this matter finally. The Stipa arundinacea 'Pheasants Tails' is a different grass but looks quite similar. The 'Pheasants Tails' is more coppery and the 'Sirocco' is more pink. The S. arundinacea 'Sirocco' is described as an annual on some websites. Hum...... Others say its a perennial.

Outside Pride.com (who sells both types of seed) lists it as an annual and gives a zone range of 5 to 10. You might want to check to see for sure if its a perennial unless it doesn't matter to you. Or, you can solve the conflict by letting us know if yours survives winter like a perennial or not. I personally love conflicting info like this, helps so much when planning ones garden.

Looking this up, I found a new (to me anyway) place in Tennessee that sells a lot of stipa varieties in pelleted seeds. Its called SEED TAPESTRY. They have both types along with some others. Its way too hot here now to germinate stipa so I may wait until next fall.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions