Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lady_d_gw

Phalaris picta

Lady_D
19 years ago

I understand this grass spreads. How invasive is it? Will I regret it if I plant it?

Comments (4)

• youreit
    19 years ago

P. arundinacea 'Picta' is not on Michigan's noxious weeds list, but you can put in underground barriers if you're worried about its spreading potential.

Brenda

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

invasive is personal opinion. i dont mind the spreading tendencies of ribbon grass as i have lots of garden space.
    i just take a spade to the sides of the drift to keep it in bounds and either pitch/trade/giveaway or replant in my own gardens somewhere. now my mother has a tiny yard in a fenced in subdivision and she is bursting at the seams with her gardens. garden space is at a premium for her so anything that doubles its size in one year is on her list of things to get rid of
    because its a root runner you need to make su re you dont plant it in the middle of choice perennials though as it will overwhelm them in no time. plant it in an area where it can spread a little....such as on a slope or along a stone wall or against a shed etc.

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

I have ribbon grass (the pink variegated variety) planted in very heavy, hardpacked clay (it borders my work area and a path). In this location the ribbon grass has behaved wonderfully, spreading slightly like a clumper but not rampantly like a runner. It has been in that location for 5 years and I've never had to remove any runners or spade the sides. It's now a clump about 3' across. In loose soil I find it's more aggressive and requires some control.

• youreit
    19 years ago

Mine is in the same situation, Pudge, with the same results. Clay isn't always such a bad thing, after all. :)

Brenda

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals
More Discussions