Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep_roots

Best Panicum Switch Grasses

deep_roots
18 years ago

I am itching to buy more grasses and thinking of branching more into Panicum 'Switch' grass. If anyone is growing these, what would be a nice tall, non-floppy, variety with large blooms?

Comments (18)

• donn_
    18 years ago

I have 1 clump of species P. virgatum, grown from seed and going into it's 3rd season. I also have a tiny division of P.v. 'Shenandoah' that I got last year in a trade. It's to early to tell about it, as it was so small to begin with.

I've started two 3" square cells of P.v. 'Strictum' which started sprouting on 4/6 and 8 cells of my own gathered seed from the species clump. They just started sprouting yesterday. I don't know if the 'Strictum' will come true from seed or not. Time will tell.

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

Panicum 'Dallas Blues' is gorgeous, my new favorite grass! Beautiful blue foliage, nice stature, and lovely pink-ish airy bloom. It also holds up well through the winter and is just an all-around fabulous grass IMHO :~)

• deep_roots
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I checked out Dallas Blues. Among other Panicums in 1 gallon pots, it had a remarkable blue color to the foliage. The Shenandoah was listed as topping out around 3'. There was a Northwind that looked like it might hold an tight upright form. Someone told me that most Panicums get floppy as they get taller and require staking. With the pictures I have seen, more Panicum is better as it gives more opacity and color to the wispy blooms when planted in mass. So many to chose from, I appreciate the advice as I want to plant one or two of the better varieties.

• achnatherum
    18 years ago

I really like the form of 'Cloud Nine' ~ it is the tallest Panicum I have. Not a stiff upright form but not the least bit floppy in my garden. Beautiful big flower heads held well above the foliage.
    A.

• deep_roots
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks achnatherum. Cloud Nine is apparently rated to go eight feet high with flowers. I guess Go Big or Go Home. In real life, how high does Cloud Nine get in Ontario (foliage / flowers)? Both Cloud Nine and Dallas Blues appear to give me the huge flowers that I want. Still undecided on Shenandoah, but the jurys still out on getting smaller red Panicums.

• achnatherum
    18 years ago

Mine, grown on the most horrible soil imaginable, gets to about 5.5 feet. I have seen others in this area that are about 6.5 feet tall...
    A.

• deep_roots
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In looking more, I have found an assortment of cultivars including...,

'Cloud Nine'
    'Haense Herms'
    'Heavy Metal'
    'Northwind'
    'Rehbraun'
    'Rotstrahlbusch'
    'Rubrum'
    'Squaw'
    'Strictum'
    'Thundercloud'
    'Warrior'

In addition, area farmers have two species of panicums that are classified as weeds in their fields. I suppose that the 'weed' kind are not among the "Best Panicum Switch Grasses". One of the best area displays of ornamental Panicums is in front of a car wash that is covered with neon lights. The more I find out, the more I think a small field trial in my back property might be the answer to my inquisitive mind.

• jake
    18 years ago

Have grown for years and still my 1st choice of Panicums is "Heavy Metal". We have "Rubrum" and "Cloud Nine" in a couple of are other beds and the "Nine" has that airy bloom that is hard to beat.

"Rubrum" gives us that red foliage contrast that is just awesome throughout the growing season especially at years end.

"Nine" doesn't reach the "listed" height in our gardens and that might be due to the z4b-5 that we are in.

Still like the "Heavy Metal" best out of all the different grasses that we now have and have grown in our yard.

Jake

• pezhead
    18 years ago

I have a beautiful clump of 'Haense Herms' Panicum and while not a tall variety with bold blooms, its fall color is terrific and it is a real delight in the garden. This year I have many new Panicum in containers and I will be able to speak on other varieties with more knowledge next season.

• deep_roots
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good information on panicums. I appreciate the information. I found my local greenhouse selling muhly and china love grass, neither of which is suppose to be hardy in my zone 5a garden. However, I am hoping to get big rose color blooms from select panicums. According to what I've been told, Dallas Blues will produce big rose colored blooms. Also the Cloud Nine is supposed to give clouds of big blooms. I am getting interested in what I am hearing about some of the reddish panicums. Apparently, a red that rivals japanese blood grass have been cultivated in a panicum. Maybe someone can list the heights of their panicums, as I see that the heights in real life seem to vary from listed heights.

• jspece
    18 years ago

Panicum ÂPrairie Fire is supposed to be more readily available next spring...4-5' tall. Gary Trucks is developing several red Panicums that color up by early summer...I don't recall the variety I have, but it will give the purple Pennisetums a run for their money!

• christabelle
    17 years ago

Someone suggested Panicum 'Prairie Fire', which is a spectacular red grass, it is a huge improvement over older red panicums. However, it does not have large blooms like you are looking for. If you were looking for bushy type plumes I would suggest a Pennisetum grass. I like newer ones like 'Foxtrot', and 'Desert Plain'.
    Panicum 'Thundercloud' is an incredibly compact, upright, and tall. Mine is 6' after one year and can get up to 7-8'! It has deep red blooms that are blooming right now in late summer.
    You also mentioned Pennisetum 'Northwind' and 'Heavy Metal', and I can say both of those are also a great grass.

• urjtobreed
    17 years ago

I have been looking for a tall and very upright switchgrass. Christabelle- your description of Panicum 'Thundercloud' describes just what I am looking for. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a source or any other descriptions of 'Thundercloud' on the internet. Could you please help me with finding a source for this cultivar and any other additional descriptions of this cultivar and its origin would be helpful.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

My vote is for Panicum Dallas Blues. Shenandoah used to be my panicum of choice, but since seeing Dallas Blues in full bloom...

{{gwi:855672}}

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

WOW!!!
    Just when I thought I had enough Panicums ....
    I will definitely have to add that one to my shopping list.
    hopefully it will be available in Canada.
    Thanks GrassGuy
    A.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

I'd be surprised if it isn't around in canada. It is a patented variety in the industry (just means it sells for a bit more), but shoud be getting pretty well known.

I was wondering how late the panicums come out of dormancy in canada?

They seem to be a bit slower for me than most grasses, but maybe because they don't really get a good sleep here in my zone to begin with. They give me a great late summer and fall show, but very slow to come out in spring.

• alchemilla
    17 years ago

Wow! What a tempting beauty! I wish I had MORE (and more and more and more .. :-) room in my yard.

Grass Guy, have you ever tried or seen Panicum amarum 'Dewey Blue'? I've noticed it in some (American.. sob!) catalogs and it looks very intriguing too. Intensely blue foliage and blooms and fountain-like shape. At least this is what it looks like in catalogs. The reality, as we know, can be far different.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Grass Guy,
    Man ... that question really challenged my memory! I have been trying to come up with the answer by looking at my garden pictures. Problem is my camera lost its 'date' function for the month of May.
    My records show that I made divisions of a sport that I have in trial in mid April and they were showing nice new shoots but nothing 'above ground'.
    I can say that all my panicums are just starting to show an inch or two of growth in early May and by mid June they are at least 2 feet tall.
    This first pic shows the height of the Panicums with respect to a few other grasses. Panicum Heavy Metal is along the high red fence and in the middle background is a Panicum Warrior and a row of Panicum 'Rehbraun'

and in this pic you can see a Panicum 'Heavy Metal' close-up.
    Both pics were taken June 23 of this year.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions