Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Few Questions

Posted by jrod z7 NM (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 07 at 0:15

I am planning on doing a mass planting of Nassella (stipa) tenuissima and Festuca glauca or Helictotrichon sempervirens.

I will be using 38 or 50 cell flats. I would like to seed propagate these plants. My question is, how many seeds or packets would be required to produce per flat of plugs?

Also what is the least expensive way to seed propagate... by ordering many packets or should they be ordered in larger quantities.

Thanks for the help,
Jared

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Few Questions

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 6:38

Jared..it depends on how big a hurry you're in. One seed will eventually make a perfectly good clump of any of those grasses. If you want a clump with a larger girth, faster, you can use as many as 12-15 seeds per cell.

The obvious answer to your other question is that you can almost always buy larger quantities of anything for less than smaller quantities. At Jelitto, for example, you can buy Blue Fescue seed for 3 Euros for 1 gram, 24 Euros for 10 grams or 192 Euros for 100 grams.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelitto

o
RE: Few Questions

• Posted by jrod z7 NM (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 14:30

Thank you very much... That number gives me a good idea of how many seeds I would need per flat. I planted festuca glauca seeds in the past but I sowed them all in about 4" containers but I only got a few plants out of that, so I gave up. I think plugs would be much better and cheaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here