Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing seedlings?

Posted by Schorzy Utah (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 0:27

I am going to start some ornamental grass from seed using a covered planting kit. My question is this: when I transplant the seedlings to my garden area, how should I place the seedlings to create the best clumping? Does one seed equal one blade? I am obviously a newbie to ornamental grasses. Insight would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing seedlings?

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 11 at 6:08

Most grasses will germinate with one or two blades, but will quickly, during the first growing season, expand the number of blades.

You should sow more than one seed in each cell, or to each square inch of an open seed flat. Check the web for specific instructions on the number of seeds per cell for the varieties of grass you are sowing. Jelitto, linked below, is one source for such information. If I can't find appropriate information, I use the ultimate width of the grass blade as a guide. If it's a fine-bladed grass, I sow more seeds per cell, and if it's a wide-bladed grass, fewer seeds.

When I grow grass from seed, I transplant the small seedling clumps to nursery pots, usually 4" or 1 quart pots, to grow them on for at least the first season. Then they go into nursery beds for at least another growing season, before eventually being moved to display beds as almost mature plants.

What grasses are you sowing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelitto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here