Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3-4' grass

Posted by rippsnorter Zone 9 Florida (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 0:52

Hey everyone! I am building a garden at the front entrance to my house. The walkway which runs right through the middle is going to be lined with bamboo shafts that will vary from 3 to 4 feet tall. I would like to find a grass that would reach that high and stay about that height with minimal trimming, and also grows in spreads, not in individual clumps. It would have to be a grass that is tolerant of being in the shade for most of the day. I know its picky, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3-4' grass

Wow, that's a tough one. Shade, 3 ft high, spreading grass for warm zone 9.

Not much comes to mind.

Chasmanthium latifolium would fit in well with Bamboo. You'd have to keep it moist in zone 9 and definitely in some shade. It's clump forming actually, but can be planted to form a hedge-like grouping...without distinct individual forms. Does spread with rhizomes, but not overly aggressive and easy to control. In shade it will be about 3 ft with a slight droop.

o

I google imaged that grass and i like how it looks. Now, where does one go to purchase said plant?

o
RE: where to buy

Nevermind. Behold the power of google. I found it for around 11 bucks. Sound reasonable?

o

Bluestem, Santa Rosa Gardens, Digging Dog, Plant Delights, High Country Gardens, and lots of others sell online grasses and should carry Chasmanthium. I've seen it for less than you mentioned, but depends on what size you're looking at.

o

I second the recommendation for Chasmanthium latifolium or River Oats. Although it doesn't spread by runners, it readily reseeds and will quickly fill an area. It also grows great in the shade and is about the right height. It is a beautiful grass suggestive of bamboo with very attractive seed heads in late summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here