Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linden_ab

grasses indoors overwinter

linden_ab
17 years ago

I am looking for recommendations for overwintering nonhardy grasses in pots indoors for the winter.To shear or not to shear, that is just one of the questions. I did overwinter japanese bloodgrass last winter without shearing, but it is quite thin and frail looking right now. One site i visited (which I cannot find again) did not recommend cutting back. what's the general opinion?

Comment (1)

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

First, you could definitely shear down to about 1/2 inch. Your example, Japanese bloodgrass, here in zone 5 goes completely dormant and always starts the year out with a shearing to get rid of the dead leaves. Be gentle with this one, it has very shallow roots and pulls out of the ground easily.

Many of the other grasses not hardy to your area can be overwintered in a cool/cold area (garage or cold room) depending on what they can withstand. All but the tropicals (eg purple fountain grass) can withstand quite a bit of cold.
    You might want to check with the group of folks on the northern gardening forum and see what they are managing to grow in the ground in your area.

I overwinter a few bamboos in my garage & keep the garage around 0 to -2C for most of the winter with a small heater.

good luck
    A.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions