Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grasses indoors overwinter

Posted by linden_ab AB Canada z3 (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 1:15

I am looking for recommendations for overwintering nonhardy grasses in pots indoors for the winter.To shear or not to shear, that is just one of the questions. I did overwinter japanese bloodgrass last winter without shearing, but it is quite thin and frail looking right now. One site i visited (which I cannot find again) did not recommend cutting back. what's the general opinion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grasses indoors overwinter

First, you could definitely shear down to about 1/2 inch. Your example, Japanese bloodgrass, here in zone 5 goes completely dormant and always starts the year out with a shearing to get rid of the dead leaves. Be gentle with this one, it has very shallow roots and pulls out of the ground easily.

Many of the other grasses not hardy to your area can be overwintered in a cool/cold area (garage or cold room) depending on what they can withstand. All but the tropicals (eg purple fountain grass) can withstand quite a bit of cold.
You might want to check with the group of folks on the northern gardening forum and see what they are managing to grow in the ground in your area.

I overwinter a few bamboos in my garage & keep the garage around 0 to -2C for most of the winter with a small heater.

good luck
A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here