Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Is this 'Karl Foerster' or 'Overdam'?

highalttransplant
16 years ago

Late last summer I ordered a couple of Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' from Big Dipper. They were pretty much dormant when I received them, so I am seeing growth for the first time and the leaves appear variegated to me. Does the new growth on 'Karl Foerster' appear variegated, or did they send my 'Overdam' by mistake?

I thinks it's pretty either way, but my understanding is that 'Overdam' is a bit shorter, which may not make as much of a vertical statement as I intended it to.

Comments (8)

• donn_
    16 years ago

It's not 'Karl F.' He has no variegation. It could be 'Overdam' or 'Avalanche.' 'Avalanche' has more green than white in the foliage, and is a little taller than 'Overdam.'

Search Google Images for pics of both, and see if you can ID it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I agree it's not 'Karl Foerster' - no variegation on this grass at all. It is more likely to be 'Overdam' than 'Avalanche' - Overdam has green blades bordered by a cream stripe. Avalanch is the reverse variegation - a white center stripe bordered with green. Mature height of the two variegated forms is virtually identical and not all that shorter from Karl. Otherwise, growth habit is the same.

To be honest, your photo looks like neither, IMO. Even very young or newly emerging calamagrostis here is a very narrow and erect plant with very narrow blades, presenting an appearance rather different from what I'm seeing in the photo.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

I'll add my two cents I guess. Obviously is not Karl. Not Avalanche. Looks too wide bladed for Overdam, but still could be. small pics can often be deceiving. Sort of looks like Phalaris picta. Seedheads will tell you once it blooms. Be sure to post pics as it grows, don't leave us wondering...lol.

• donn_
    16 years ago

I just enlarged your pic, and I think I see a faint pinkish/purplish tint on the margins of some of the blades.

I have a half-dozen young 'Overdam' from Bluestone, and they each have a couple of blades with this tint.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, along with some young 'Avalanche'...if the sun shines.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

I checked Big Dipper's availability and they do carry Overdam, but do not carry Avalanche. They also carry Phalaris Strawberries and Cream. Those wider floppy blades just have me thrown. From the nursery's perspective, Overdam for Karl would have been the more likely mistake to have been made. Donn, I've also seen Overdam get pinkish tinged foliage.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Phalaris 'Strawberries and Cream' at this time of the season is very pale - nearly fully white but also with some pink/purple tinges. This one's got me stumped......I really don't think it is a Calamagrostis. It looks nothing like the ones I have available for sale or in my garden. And since Big Dipper is located in my neck of the woods, I'd expect their selections would present appearances similar to my own.

• donn_
    16 years ago

Here's a poor photo. 'Overdam' on the left new this year from Bluestone in a 4" pot. 'Avalanche' on the right received from Perennial Market in a coop, late last summer, as a 32 plug.

{{gwi:855851}}

The differences in variegation are quite apparent, although both have visible pink tints at the margins of some blades.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donn, you are correct about the pinkish edges on the blades. I happened to be at the Walmart garden center yesterday, (even though I was there to grocery shop, LOL) and they had some ornamental grass that was labeled as 'Overdam' and sure enough it had the pink edges too. Even though it is not what I ordered, it is a happy mistake, as I really like the variegation.

Sponsored
More Discussions