Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental grasses

Posted by sgrig none (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 6:47

I have various types of ornamental grasses that are surrounding a house that I bought and are very mature and VERY OUT OF HAND. I do love them, but I am continuously cutting them back. Is there a way to "stunt" there growth? So that they may stay 3-4 feet instead of 8'. I live in Pennsylvania and they are all planted in full sun. Any advice will be GREATLY APPRECIATED as my knowledge is extremely limited.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental grasses

You can divide them or root-prune them. The techniques and timing vary somewhat, based upon the kind of grass each one it, so the first thing to do is ID them. Then closely examine the crown of each one. If larger warm-season grasses are starting to 'donut' (die off in the center) you'll make divisions using only the outer perimeter of the crown.

Cutting them back is seldom desired, especially if they are large warm-season grasses. It leaves the ends of the foliage squared off and usually browned, and just doesn't look right.

o

Ultimately, the better solution would probably just be to replace with more compact varieties. Even in the larger grass species like Miscanthus there are shorter and taller varieties.

o

Yes. If they're 8 feet tall, they will always be 8 feet tall, no matter how much you divide the clump.

o

I've started using a dividing technique that makes the process less daunting. I think of the clump as a big pie and cut it up into pie pieces using a recipracting saw, then dig out each 'pie piece' by first digging from the outside of the 'pie'. So quick. So easy. I use an old blade I don't really care much about just in case I run into any stones. Try it!

o

Replace them with shorter versions of similar grasses.

Dividing them won't change their height.

o

If you take a division from the perimeter of an 8' Miscanthus, it will take 2-3 years for the plant to reach mature height again. It's like starting over with a young plant.

o

True, but doesn't reduce mature height.

o

Make the hole deeper, give them a sunken living room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here