Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanted Feather Reed Grass

Posted by PAgrower z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 7:29

Help. about a week ago, I moved two of my feather reed grasses. I took a huge root ball and only moved them 3' from where they were. We had a few windy says since. They are "yellowing" now. Is this normal or am I loosing them? Any advice will be appreciated. Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanted Feather Reed Grass

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 05 at 7:40

Did you trim them back before you moved them? If not, give them a trim now. Also make sure they have enough water in the planting hole. I live on the water, windy all the time, and it still astounds me how drying the wind can be.

o

I cut them back about two-three weeks ago. I left them stand tall through the winter. Because I took such a large root ball, I didn't add water the planting hole before I set them in. Shall I still trim back and give a good soaking??

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 05 at 8:22

If they were already trimmed, before the x-plant, just soak them good. I'd probably give them a shot of dilute compost tea as well, but I do that to everthing I x-plant.

o
Thanks for your help Donn

Thanks.

o

Early this spring I transplanted two Karl Foerster feather reed grasses that I put put in a poor location last year. One of them is very green and growing well, while the other one is lagging and has more yellow and tan leaves. After observing the sun and shade patterns while working in the yard last week, I noticed that the clump that is growing much better also gets a lot more sun. The one that is lagging happens to fall in the shadow of a tree for much of the day until late afternoon.

o

Be patient...they are incredibly hard to kill. they may sulk for a bit, but eventually you will see them start to perk up. I would water a ssuggested, to give them some pampering after the transplant, but once they get going cut back on the water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here