Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variegated purple moor grass (problem?)....

Posted by flybynyte Z4 NE-SD (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 05 at 7:53

As a whole, the plant has put up new growth. The problem is, the outer half of one side of the plant seems to be growing just fine (about 4-6 inches long)---while the rest of the plant has put up new shoots, but seems to have slowed dramatically---therefore, giving me a lop-sided plant.

We have had a cool-cold/damp/cloudy/windy last couple of weeks. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe the plant needs dividing? Does it divide well?

I was very impressed with this little grass last year when I bought it. Turned out to be a very nice border plant. Soooo, I am hoping it will still turn out ok.

Anyone have experience with this grass and/or could give me some advice?

Thanks,
Randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variegated purple moor grass (problem?)....

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Sat, May 28, 05 at 10:36

How long have you had the plant? Can you give us a picture of it as it is now?

According to my books, you're right on the edge, or just past it's hardiness zone. One say's zone 5 and the other, zone 4. How did you care for it during the winter, and how severe was your winter?

You can divide it, but it's best to do it in Spring, which may be now, in your zone. It's a cool-season grass, which means it should be in active growth now.

o
RE: variegated purple moor grass (problem?)....

Sorry, not able to provide a pic.

I bought it last spring at a nursery. Was a good size plant at the time of purchase. I had read about it and seen pictures of it in Ambergate Garden's catalog and GardenGate Magazine. Ambergate Gardens (which is located about 3 1/2 hrs east of my location) said they have had good luck with the plant's hardiness. Soooo, thought I would give it a try.
We had a rather mild winter here---2-3 inches of snow cover, at times (snow, melt, snow, melt). Much of the winter went without snowcover. We had a total of 11 inches of snow this past winter. There was a report that perennials may take a hit because of our goofy winter. I expected to take a hit with a number of plants (including the purple moor grass), but, came out pretty good. The plants that I seem to have lost are the hakone grass 'Aureola' and my Endless Summer hydrangea---those kinda bummed me out.

Anyway, will keep an eye on my purple moor grass, just to make sure nothing else is going on there. Doesn't appear to be sickly---maybe it's just the warm, cool/cold,warm, cool, periods of spring that have thrown it off a bit.

I see quite a few plants have some yellow on them. We haven't had much sun the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here