Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardiness of Pink Muhly Grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris)

Posted by hoyasahoy 6a MA (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 9:11

I've never succeeded in overwintering Muhlenbergia capillaris in the garden here in Boston, and I know of no local gardeners who have.

The PlantFiles at Dave's Garden (and many other sources) gives its hardiness as Z5a, but though 22 gardeners are listed as growing it on the East Coast, 14 of those are in Florida, and none are north of Newport News, VA. Rick Darke's Encyclopedia of Grasses gives its native range as reaching north to Kansas, Indiana, and Massachusetts, but says its hardiness depends on provenance.

I suspect that all plants in wide commercial distribution are of southern provenance, and are of limited hardiness. Does anyone know of any of northern provenance and proven hardiness at least to zone 6a? Does anyone know of any wild plants from toward the northern end of its range whose seed might be harvested?

Thanks,

Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardiness of Pink Muhly Grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris)

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 19, 09 at 16:59

I'd suggest posting a "Want" listing on the seed/plant trading forums, and be very specific about what you're looking for. Go for seeds from a northern gardener. You may get lucky and find a kind gardener (in the north) who will trade you a division in early fall.

o

Thanks, donn, I'll do that.

But I'm not just interested in acquiring plants for my own gardening. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has succeeded with this grass in the north. And if so, perhaps getting hardier forms into commerce.

It's a warm season grass, so I'll have to seek divisions in the spring, if I get any offers.

Thanks,

Don

o

I have grown this in Kansas City and all 6 plants have returned after 3 winters. I think a key is good draining soil. Same with my Blue Oat Grass. I got my 'Regal Mist' from High Country Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: HCG 'Regal Mist'

o

Thanks, Slim. That's exactly the kind of observation I was seeking. And I'll have to try 'Regal Mist", I see HCG isn't the only supplier.

In addition to sandy soils, I suspect your hotter summers may contribute to its hardiness.

Anybody else from Zone 6 or 5 grow this with success?

Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here