Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achnatherum

New Panicum

achnatherum
14 years ago

I am excited!!! Finally after many years of mucking about with a perennial plant firm a sport, from one of my Panicum 'Heavy Metal' plants, is going to be introduced as a new named cultivar. YIPEEEE!!! They tell me that it should be available at nurseries within the next couple of weeks. (may only be available in Canada at first ??)

The Panicum is going to be called 'Blood Brothers'. It has the same stiff upright form of 'Heavy Metal' but 1/3 to 1/2 of the leaf is a deep blood red. The rest of the leaf is the same steel-blue of 'Heavy Metal'

If you see it in a nursery I would love to hear about it!

Fingers crossed that it will do well

Comments (12)

• donn_
    14 years ago

Mazeltov!

I was just reading about it on perennials.com, and for some reason didn't connect your name.

I want one, or three!

Hey grass_guy...how 'bout it?

• countrygardener_2009
    14 years ago

Congratulations: that's fantastic! I'll be looking for it.

• airfun
    14 years ago

Congratulations! If I see it, I will tell you where I am planting because I am sure to be buying it :) It is gorgeous!

Chris

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that Chris - I will be happy to hear when it finally hits the nurseries. Of course a lot of the grasses don't get into 'selling condition' quite as fast as other perennials. I can give you one hint - look for it in a blue pot .....
    It has taken such a long time to get the plant to this point - I won't believe it is being marketed until one of you actually sees it out there.
    Holding my breath.... :o)
    Achnatherum

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Any chance of it getting over to the UK ?

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bluespruce,
    Good question - I will certainly ask for you...
    I did take a piece to a friend in ireland a number of years ago. I wanted her to trial it for me. Unfortunately, she has since sold the garden & nursery so I don't know what happened to the grass.

A.

• steve1young
    14 years ago

How would you say it differs from 'Ruby Ribbons'?

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good question Steve - I haven't seen Ruby ribbons 'in the flesh' so, I couldn't tell you. I will certainly look out for it in the local nurseries & check it out myself. I'm sure the growers grew a comparison plant of ruby ribbons while they were evaluating Blood Brother's. I'll have to ask them what they thought....

A.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure that I saw it at a nursery in the Guelph-Kitchener area a couple of days ago. The name caught my atttention, when I saw your post. I was at three diferent nurseries that day, so I can't say for sure where I saw it.

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've had a few reports off the forum that Blood Brothers has indeed arrived in nurseries in Ontario anyway. That's a beginning!
    Steve, they are growing ruby ribbons & b. brother side by side (since last summer) & will have a better idea of how they compare by the end of this summer.
    Blue Spruce - re: available in the UK - they say that might be a possibility but it won't happen this year.
    Thanks to all for your kind comments!
    a.

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've had a few reports off the forum that Blood Brothers has indeed arrived in nurseries in Ontario anyway. That's a beginning!
    Steve, they are growing ruby ribbons & b. brother side by side (since last summer) & will have a better idea of how they compare by the end of this summer.
    Blue Spruce - re: available in the UK - they say that might be a possibility but it won't happen this year.
    Thanks to all for your kind comments!
    a.

• shivadiva
    13 years ago

I see that these were messages from last season -- I'm looking for nursery distribution in the US and haven't found anything by online searching. Does anyone know a nursery which will ship to the US? Canning no longer does. Thanks!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions